Start a new thread

1 to 7 of 7 replies

We have just moved into a new house which has a bigger garden than the very small garden we previously had. I have yet to decide where to rebuild our greenhouse and put aside time to do it as other jobs around the house and garden are taking priority first.

This is a simple question, where do you all store fertilisers and weedkillers (if you use them, I try not to) of both the granular form and the liquid form. Do they take harm if stored in a small shed where any frosts will get to them or should they be stored somewhere away from the chance of freezing.

This is something I've never really given thought to in the past and I would appreciate your thoughts.

Many thanks in advance.

Welshonion
Keep them dry and out of the reach of children; store in their original packaging and ensure the labels are not affected by anything which makes them illegible.
Dovefromabove

My instinct says keep them frost free - but I've no idea whether it really matters. 

Definitely dry......even a little moisture will have a detrimental effect on powdered/granule fertiliser.  Same as Dove, frosting and subsequent  defrosting will eventually risk mush. 

Frost free is definately best. Any liquid treatments may deteriorate with freezing on and off.

Advertisement

Thanks for the replies.

I have always kept them dry but it was the freezing question that got me thinking. We are in the process of sorting out storage at the new house.

The greenhouse has yet to be built, the garage is to be used to store a trailer and other things, but I need to allocate a section of it for garden stuff if its best frost free, plus we also need to decide if we need a shed and if so what size. The garden is not large (10 year old house so better than the brand new houses) and we might try and get away without a shed.

Steve 309

Sounds like a shelf high up in a frost-free garage.