London (change)
Sun 11°C / 3°C
Tomorrow 7°C / 2°C
1 to 20 of 23 messages
30/06/2014 at 15:35

Hey guys

Im finding it a bit hard to get the soil level for the grass seed to go down.

I know no one is ever gonna get it perfect but after continuous raking Im still finding hills and valleys.

Anyone got any tips?

Thanks guys 
Jen

30/06/2014 at 15:42

Rotivator first?

Or cheat and use easy to roll turf 

Edd
30/06/2014 at 15:46

Not sure what size area you are doing but lay out a grid using string and pegs. Each grid should be about 1 metre square this makes it easier to get the level right and let you get the right amount of seed per square metre.

Edit: A 8-foot-long 2 x 4 piece of wood helps you get a level as well. You can then see where the uneven bits are. 

30/06/2014 at 16:01

On the bowling green we used a long plank on edge. Set it on one corner and swing the plank across a stretch of soil, you will see the dips and humps. Keep changing the position corner to corner until you get an even tilth.

Frank.

30/06/2014 at 16:18
I wouldnt worry too much, if you have kids and/or pets it will have lumps and bumps anyway
30/06/2014 at 16:53
Am not sure how to explain but it is probably how you are holding the rake. Use one hand to take the weight of the rake and the other to pull it across the soil. If your rake head is going into the soil then you are putting too much weight into it and that's why you constantly get hills and valleys of soil. The rake head should literally skim over the surface so that it only moves anything in its way ie the hills or stones.

If you google it you might get a YouTube video. I could never get a level seed bed until one if the 'old boys' on my allotment showed me how to hold and use my rake properly
30/06/2014 at 17:38

I agree that it could be the way you are using the rake. Do it lightly as you pull it towards you. Don't dig it in and then pull it towards you. Practice makes perfect! Or should that be practise?

30/06/2014 at 18:10
No, you were right first time. Practice is the noun, practise is the verb. (ex English teacher....!)
30/06/2014 at 18:20

Thank you!

30/06/2014 at 18:29

My tip, water it and let it settle for a week. Doesn't matter how good you think you get it you'll still have lumps and bumps, that's why the advice of leaving it till the Autumn to top dress a seeded lawn is there. That way you can see the dips and top dress accordingly. I defy anyone to get it perfect first time.

30/06/2014 at 19:27
Oh god I am now dreading levelling mine.
30/06/2014 at 19:32

Mr T............surely not.....you have come a long way already.....best foot (or Rake) forward......I have faith in you

30/06/2014 at 19:40

Thanks phillippa smith2, this is how it stands now, just waiting for the greenery to die

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/51147.jpg?width=265&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/51148.jpg?width=265&height=350&mode=max

30/06/2014 at 19:45

Sorry - off topic - thanks Busy Bee2.   OH and I have been looking in the dictionary to see what the difference was between practice and practise.  No help there.

Mr Toast - you are a great worker and want everything down to a T(pun not intended but it works).  Yours will be perfect because you have put so much effort in.

30/06/2014 at 19:49

4390evans I have bought a very large landscapers rake to help me with mine, it only cost £17 but looks like it will help alot, one side is a large rake and the other has a flat edge for moving soil around, the rake is pretty weighty but this should help with the levelling.

30/06/2014 at 22:04

Mr Toast that sounds like the perfect present for Mr Bee - he doesn't take much interest in the garden (unless there is something out there he wants to eat) but he is obsessed with flat lawns.  He asked me today how many molehills were out there, and I said I hadn't noticed, and explained that that was the equivalent of me asking him whether there were many weeds in the flower beds.  There were, (as he learnt/learned five minutes later) six molehills, which he treated with chilli powder.  He is losing faith in chilli powder and large windmills though.  I have included above, another little English teacher type conundrum for the grammatically minded. 

30/06/2014 at 22:23

Mr Bee learnt his lesson. (I hope)  He could try crushed garlic cloves instead

30/06/2014 at 22:43

Does that work Lesley?  Not with my home-grown garlic though - I've been waiting since last October to harvest that, and I didn't plant enough, so it is precious stuff.  But we could get some value garlic from the supermarket??  The dictionaries will tell you learnt and learned are interchangeable, but there are preferences in British English and American English for one or the other.  I was taught that 'learnt' was an adjective and 'learned' the past tense of the verb, but the dictionaries don't agree, or even with each other, or find historical precedents.  So in short, there is no one answer. 

01/07/2014 at 07:13

Practice is a noun - like in a GP Practice

Practise is a verb - as in "I must practise what I preach"

01/07/2014 at 07:27

Busy Bee2 - We had molehills on the lawn a few years ago.  I put crushed garlic in the holes and we haven't seen any moles since.  It could be a coincidence but is worth a try.  

English is a very strange language.  So many rules have exceptions to them

1 to 20 of 23 messages