London (change)
Today 19°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 16°C
6 messages
23/11/2012 at 19:00

I sure could use some sound advice on when and what to spray pyracantha to head off devastating fireblight.

Last season I almost lost my pyracantha hedges to this. It blackened all the many blossoms, which I quickly pulled off and destroyed, but of course this has meant that I have no berries on these plants.

The pyracantha's which are out the front of my property and are of the same family are perfectly healthy and showing berries.

I have climbing roses very close the hedges and last season these were wiped out with a mega dose of black spot, which I am wondering if this has infuenced the fireblight??

I am seriously thinking of removing the roses, and going for a fragrant climbing hyranga,

your thoughts and comments please!

23/11/2012 at 20:43

Not a fireblight expert but it's not caused by the same organism as blackspot.

I seem to remember that fireblight is more prevalent in warm springs. We certainly had one of those before the soggy summer moved in. I'd make sure you've cut out all dead or diseased wood and see how it gets on next year

24/11/2012 at 16:00

Right!   What i have not fathomed, is why the bushes out the front are perfectly healthy?? 

I was pinning my hopes on it being a crossover disease from the roses! but maybe not eh!

24/11/2012 at 16:34

No, it's not a crossover disease - blackspot is a fungus that thrives in wet weather. You can control it, but you need to remove all fallen leaves and cut out any areas that have black stains on them first. Then, next spring, spray as the leaves appear and keep spraying throughout the summer; that should control it quite well unless we have another soggy summer.

24/11/2012 at 16:52

brilliant! thanks.

26/11/2012 at 11:10

Question??

If I start spraying stroptomycin or terramycin as recommended by local garden centre, will this effect the bees and othe pollenating insects??

email image
6 messages