Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Flooded Harden

This is what I woke up to today.  We aren't even near a body of water, we just have a high water table.  Does anyone else have to deal with flooding?

• Mrs GMrs G Posts: 336

That mesh is over an ironically placed pond.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Oooh Mrs G - that's an attractive water garden you have there - ever thought of breeding ducks? image

Drainage gullies, ditches, etc are all struggling to cope at the moment so the water table is rising everywhere - it might be that the responsible authority may need to clear out some drains etc - but it's probably not a priority at the moment if they're dealing with worse flooding elsewhere image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Verdun - a Harden is obviously a garden which is hard to garden due to excessive climatic interference image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• MuddyForkMuddyFork Posts: 435

Mrs G you have my commiserations, a large part of my garden is under 2 feet of water with our very own waterfall as the floods pour off the road over my raised bed.  It will be months before I can do any gardening in that area as we are on solid clay.  Not at all funny. 

• We have a very sodden garden, not quite as bad as that but far too wet to walk on. And its still raining here, not as heavy as it was tho. Just wish it would stop now.

My OH is going a bit stir crazy as he hasn't played golf since before xmas, the course has been closed for weeks now, for once I wish it was open!! Bles him, he's lovely really image

• Verdunimage

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

Mrs G - I think you have created a brilliant new word which has been defined by Dove perfectly.  image Sorry to see the sogginess though - let's hope it soon drains away.

• Mrs GMrs G Posts: 336

Nice one Dove image

Ours is clay too which doesn't help but it could be a lot worse at least the house is safe.  This is our first winter here so I'm thinking this could happen every year, I just hope my fruit trees survive.  I shouldn't have been so eager to start gardening then I might have avoided this!  Luckily the pond doesn't have fish in.