London (change)
Today 23°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 13°C
1 to 20 of 21 messages
04/01/2014 at 11:09

This is what I woke up to today.  We aren't even near a body of water, we just have a high water table.  Does anyone else have to deal with flooding?

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/35548.jpg?width=201&height=350&mode=max

04/01/2014 at 11:10

That mesh is over an ironically placed pond.

04/01/2014 at 12:29

Oooh Mrs G - that's an attractive water garden you have there - ever thought of breeding ducks? 

Drainage gullies, ditches, etc are all struggling to cope at the moment so the water table is rising everywhere - it might be that the responsible authority may need to clear out some drains etc - but it's probably not a priority at the moment if they're dealing with worse flooding elsewhere 

04/01/2014 at 13:00

What is a Harden mrsG?  

Theres been so much rain that even my free draining sandy loam was holding pools of water for a while.  Nothing much anyone can do when mother nature has a tantrum like this but things will dry out.  

04/01/2014 at 13:01

Verdun - a Harden is obviously a garden which is hard to garden due to excessive climatic interference 

04/01/2014 at 13:07

Mrs G you have my commiserations, a large part of my garden is under 2 feet of water with our very own waterfall as the floods pour off the road over my raised bed.  It will be months before I can do any gardening in that area as we are on solid clay.  Not at all funny. 

04/01/2014 at 13:13

We have a very sodden garden, not quite as bad as that but far too wet to walk on. And its still raining here, not as heavy as it was tho. Just wish it would stop now.

My OH is going a bit stir crazy as he hasn't played golf since before xmas, the course has been closed for weeks now, for once I wish it was open!! Bles him, he's lovely really 

04/01/2014 at 13:22

I knew that Dove.    I was only testing to see if others knew too 

Lily, that's par for the course at the moment, I'm afraid 

I do sympathise for those whose gardens are flooded,,ESP those on clay soils.  

04/01/2014 at 14:11

Verdun

04/01/2014 at 14:18

Mrs G - I think you have created a brilliant new word which has been defined by Dove perfectly.   Sorry to see the sogginess though - let's hope it soon drains away.

04/01/2014 at 14:28

Nice one Dove 

Ours is clay too which doesn't help but it could be a lot worse at least the house is safe.  This is our first winter here so I'm thinking this could happen every year, I just hope my fruit trees survive.  I shouldn't have been so eager to start gardening then I might have avoided this!  Luckily the pond doesn't have fish in.

04/01/2014 at 14:29

MuddyFork what sort of plants do you grow that can survive that?

04/01/2014 at 15:35
Mrs G wrote (see)

MuddyFork what sort of plants do you grow that can survive that?

Rice? 

04/01/2014 at 16:27

get the same problem as not only do I live on a hill but we have under ground springs and stream running through our gardens which when there is heavy rain it surfaces causing that duck pond effect.

04/01/2014 at 16:54

Funny you should say rose, sometime after we moved in our neighbour said we have and underground stream under our properties, which was a big shock as the previous owners hadn't mentioned it and it didn't come up in any surveys etc.  They had cut down a huge willow which must have loved the conditions though.

05/01/2014 at 13:09

Mrs G, there are  a large number of plants that survive, Astilbe, hardy geraniums, alchemilla mollis, astrantia, acers, ferns, primroses to name but a few.  I suppose that whilst it seems soggy for a long while to us the roots are probably not saturated for long periods.  I think I dislike the summers when the ground is so hard you can't pull or dig weeds out.

05/01/2014 at 13:24

Mrs G,It was only when we had the house documents that we discovered this, but we had heard of a house in the area that subsided with the drought in 1976 due to the stream drying out and we our selves had a willow which did drink the water but got too big and had to be felled and now the lawn is back to being soggy.

05/01/2014 at 19:26

Sorry to hijack the thread but I planted some daffs, tulips and hyacinths in late October, so are these likely to have been wiped out by the rain or is there still a chance they'll flower by spring?

Fortunately, my garden hasn't been flooded like the photo at the top, but my soil has been well and truly saturated for the last couple of weeks. I'd only recently fluffed-up the top soil after planting a few left-over bulbs so it was very soft (cats and foxes had left paw prints over an inch deep). Then came the constant heavy rain which has completely wiped all the paw prints and compacted the surface, leaving the soil soaking wet.

I only have about 8" of soil and not very good drainage, so the poor bulbs are probably swimming in it down there.

What time of year should I expect the shoots to appear on the surface?

05/01/2014 at 19:36

I know that tulips will not like the cold and wet, I always do them in pots where I can control drainage and move them under cover if it's too wet.  Don't know about the others sorry.  I've put alliums in there, they like good drainage so I'll probably lose all of those.  Luckily I lifted and stored my gladioli.

07/01/2014 at 12:53

Well I may have posted too soon!

There's been a break in the heavy rain and, under a cloudy sky with a fair few blue patches in it, I had a close look at my soil and the very top of a handful of bulb shoots have appeared!

I wasn't expecting anything for another month or two, so is this normal for daffs and tulips? Before the rain, I intended to scrape 2" of surplus soil off the top that I temporarily scattered when I was doing some digging in December, so the bulbs breaking the surface now must be 8" down because I originally planted them 6" down in late October. So, any estimates by more experienced gardeners of when these may flower? I'm guessing they'll be early blooms?

I daren't scrape off the 2" now because I'll clearly damage early shoots.

1 to 20 of 21 messages