Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

flooding lawn

hello everyone

just wondered what everyones thoughts are i have a lawn which year before last flooded twice and this year has flooded five times needless to say the grass is looking a litlle tired of this the thoughts are to do away with the lawn and make it into a more wildlife style wet garden so to keep the grass there but plant more species that will do well in and amongst the grass and let it all go a bit wild the issue i have is if it dos flood five times a year is it going to kill some plants off or do you reckon they would come through it it dosnt stay flooded long a day at the most the other idea is to continue with the lawn or do you think im fighting a losing battle i can reclaim an area back from my chickens for my new lawn so i wont go without

any help or tips or ideas would be great

thanks matt 

• Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,817

Might not flood, might be drought next! 

• thats what im thinking if i plant all these wet loving plants and then we have a drought im stuffed lol

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

Bit confused-you say the lawn is flooded -but don't mention the rest of the gardenimage

Is the flooding a drainage issue from too much rain- or a flooding issue per se?image

Not many plants will survive with constant wet feet-I would be looking to correct the drainage- perhaps the lawn is compacted -what type of soil is it ?image

As for letting it go a bit wild -in what way?image

Need a bit more informationimage

• the lawn is in a bowl at the base of the house and when we get heavy rain the water table rises and it fills with water the rest of the garden is higher

theres no way i can install drainage with the lay of the garden

im not sure on the soil type but it is mostly clay once you get about 2 foot down but top layers are nice soil

the wild aspect im thinking of is trees that will tolerate a little flooding once in a while i have always loved gunnera and astilbe arums things along those lines i know theres quite a few things i could plant and then letting that go a bit wild almost meadow sort of style

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

The clay is the underlying problemimage

What about a pond with a bog garden surround?image-just an ideaimage

• thats what i was tempted by i think thats going to be what i do its a large area and its a large bowl so the outer edges rarely flood so it would make quite a cool planting scheme with a few paths running through it

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

That sounds lovely. But if the flooding doesn't stay for more than a day it shouldn't really be a problem. 2012 was exceptionally wet. But if it's a bowl and you'd like a pond then go for it.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.