London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 16°C
8 messages
09/06/2012 at 14:47
I have a bed at the back of my garden with paper and a tall country garden yellow flower growing and it looked lovely until the poppies came into flower. They are all floppy - and not just since the windy weather started- and I am so close just to ripping them out and planting something else. The bed just looks a mess now! Any ideas? There is no mention of them requiring support on the info card that came with them!
09/06/2012 at 15:08

What kind of poppies are they? If you want a cottage garden then many plants will bend down if they have heavy flowers - they're not all straight and regimented like soldiers. Informality is the norm.

09/06/2012 at 15:13

I use those plant supports that you can clip together. They work wonders until the cat decides to join in. Dont give up because poopies are beautiful.

09/06/2012 at 15:26

Large (oriental) poppies do tend to be unusually floppy. Mine are sprawling all over the place.

I noticed some big red ones in Monty's Jewel Garden on GW last night - they were standing up, well behaved - surprising really. I don't know how he achieved that. Maybe he has a taught mesh over his garden for plants to grow through.

If you try to tie one up it will look very unnatural, and worst than it is. Trying to move one of those stems may well snap it at the base. Best left alone, IMO.

09/06/2012 at 15:28

If they are oriental poppies they will need some kind of support . We are fortunate to live near woodland and I pick up twigs and bits and bobs to use as stakes as I think it gives a more natural feel to the garden. Just a thought.

09/06/2012 at 16:06

Everyone thinks gardening is about what you grow, but its not. It's how you manage to  stop things over growing!  Correct pruning, feeding, soil conditions and support will assist a gardener in this epic task.

09/06/2012 at 16:36

Try growing the poppy with a more rigid / woody shrub to give it some support . You can make some support with thick wire ,just shape it into a circle and leave enough length to bend to a 90 degree angle and push these two ends into the soil . Enjoy your poppy .

10/06/2012 at 09:11
I have 3 oriental poppies, the leaves do go to look very raggy and the whole plant goes floppy but the flowers unfurl so beautifully it's worth it. I support mine early on, although they are meant to be a bit floppy and I grow other flowers around them, such as hardy geraniums to cover the tatty foliage. When they finish flowering I chop them more or less to the ground and they produce nice tidy new leaves.
email image
8 messages