Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Forest flame

morning all !! I have a forest flame quite large bush , been very healthy for years !! Over the last few months the leaves have gone black and also some have white spots on the underneath the leaf !! The black stuff is falling on my stone path and discolouring that as well !! Can anyone help ???

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

There's probably been some aphids on there, and sooty mould is growing on the honeydew left by them.  It should wash off if you hose them down gently, getting the underside of the leaves as well as the top surface. image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Well thank you what causes this ??image

• It won't wash down just tried !! Anyone else got any advice ?? 

• MeomyeMeomye Posts: 949

I too have this sooty mould on my Pieris, I did manage to get some of it off with a damp sponge but my plants are so big I couldn't possibly wipe down all the leaves. Verdon, may I ask what you mean by a systemic spray in a few weeks time?    

• Mike fMike f Posts: 2
    I seem to have this problem also, black top surface of leaves and on underside is white fluffy fungus like spots. The steams have also gone black. Any new ideas as what to treat this with? If anti fungal spray will work etc?

Still have sooty mould on two of my old large Pieris, now seems to be spreading on to 2 of my younger ones image gave it a spray of Roseclear a couple of days ago. How long does it take to show signs of improvement? Thanks 

Bumping  image

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Not sure Meomye as I don't use insecticides, but I'd think they act quite quickly -within a week perhaps. I'd be inclined to remove some of the affected foliage and dispose of it - not in the compost bin though, if you have one. Plants under stress are more likely to succumb to pests and diseases. Are your shrubs in soil that's in good condition, and not too dry or too soggy, with good airflow?

I'm sure someone will be able to offer further advice re the spray though. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...