Start a new thread

1 to 7 of 7 replies

I HAVE 4 FORSYTHIAS THAT ARE TAKING OVER MY GARDEN.

DOES ANYBODY KNOW PLEASE HOW I CAN TRIM THEM BACK AT THE APPROPRIATE TIME AND TURN THEM INTO HEDGES OR SMALL PLANTS.

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

sotongeoff

If you want them to flower next year -this is not the time to cut them-if you are not that bothered then do it now-the best time is after flowering but you will struggle to keep them as small plants and have flowers.

What height are you thinking of?

I believe, one normally prunes just the part of the branches that have flowered, any when after June. It has always worked perfectly with mine.

....and you can cut oldest stems back to ground level too, say just odd couple or so. Forsythia flower on wood made this year so if you cut forsythia by trimming etc you will lose flowers for next year. I prune mine pretty hard....as I said by removing odd branches to ground and removing flowered stems back to emerging shoots further back. If getting too wide cut offending branches right out. Do you want 4 forsythias?

I always cut mine back after flowering too but haven't had many flowers for a couple of years.. it was doing well this year with a lot of new healthy growth, however while I was away on holiday my neighbour chopped it back by half so I've lost all next year's flowers.  What I'd like to know is what do I do with it next year... shall I just leave it now at around 4 foot high and very tightly pruned or do I cut it back even more next spring.

Advertisement

BobTheGardener

I don't like the 'trimmed bush' look on forsythias, so I cut mine right back to the ground every few years.  They then sprout long arching stems which flower the year after and look much more natural.  Those are trimmed back after flowering and look good for about 3-4 years when I start again.  I've never managed to kill one, even though I often secretly hope that the big 5 year massacre might finish one off!

Thank you Bob... that's exactly how I like mine to look and I had a lot of lovely arching stems this year.  I was so upset to see what had happened to it.  Now I'm not sure how it will revive itself next year, perhaps I should cut it back to ground level next year and hope for the best.