London (change)
Today 29°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 17°C
1 to 20 of 22 messages
14/06/2013 at 10:46

Seven foxes, this morning in my daughter's small London garden. They dig their way under fencing and walling, did up the plants and leave their smelly messages everywhere. she has a dog but that has made no difference. Any ideas, anyone,  on how to cope with them?

14/06/2013 at 12:28

Above all else, do not feed them.  And talk to the neighbours and ensure they are not leaving food rubbish around or feeding the 'lovely little foxes'.  Mend the fencing and you may discourage them.

Urban foxes often carry mange so try not to let the dog explore the holes they make under walls, sheds or fences.

14/06/2013 at 15:32

I live on a corner and my front garden is about 6 ft above the pavement, it's an ideal territory marking spot, they also repeated dig up and bury things in the borders. I'm likely to pick up an electric fence this year, nothing too strong but enough to deter foxes and cats. I've tried netting which stops the cats, but with the foxes, there are particular spots that it likes to dig, and it either rips at the netting damaging everything around it, or digs next to the netting. I've seriously considered making a trap, catching it then driving it 50 miles away. Currently it's looking like an electric fence is going to be the one. They are very reasonable for what I want, about 80 quid, and 80 quid for peace of mind, well that's a bargain in my book.

14/06/2013 at 15:40

Sorry BrummieBen it is illegal to trap a wild animal and release it in the wild anywhere.  And what makes you think the people 50 miles away want your urban fox?

15/06/2013 at 12:09

Oh, fencing doesn't do it - there are no holes, they just dig underneath. Even when blocks and  bricks were sunk into the soil at the base, they just dug deeper. 

Not sure about electric fencing, with the family having a dog...  

15/06/2013 at 16:02

A dog will learn to leave electric fencing alone, very quickly. The charge in the fence is not enough to harm anything, just to deter.

At Wisley they put electric fencing around the sweetcorn to deter badgers.

15/06/2013 at 16:43

I grew up on a farm - we used electric fencing for lots of stock animals - the farm dogs kept away after touching it a couple of times - it didn't harm them.  As children we were braver than the dogs and occasionally got a shock - it made us jump but it didn't hurt us either 

16/06/2013 at 11:59

Have passed on the suggestion. Thank you!

16/06/2013 at 12:37

At my last house frances, the previous owners had kept chickens as a hobby and we intended doing the same. The run was in a mess and of course their chickens had been taken so we wanted to make sure the run was totally redone before we put any chickens in. I was told by someone 'in the know' that an electric fence was the only guaranteed way of keeping them out. I expect if you can have some planting in front of it children won't get too near anyway. They're a real nuisance- urban or rural. Good luck with it 

16/06/2013 at 13:31

Children can be told to keep away from the fence.  If you grow anything anywhere near an electric fence you will be forever cutting back any vegetation (even grass) so that it does not touch the electric fence rendering it useless as it will short out. 

16/06/2013 at 14:43

I live in Devon and a friend of ours has a smallholding - she swears that pee-ing around  the perimeter greatly discourages foxes.  I would add that she and her husband are more than mildly eccentric, and that their land is not overlooked in any way!

16/06/2013 at 14:49

Actually, that had occurred to me - I did suggest it but I don't think they took me seriously at the time. It does seem logical... Have to be after dark where they are!!!

16/06/2013 at 15:22

The potty could make a comeback I suppose?

16/06/2013 at 16:40

Yep! Why not!

16/06/2013 at 19:16

Just get another watering can, pee in that and when it's full or in the evening take it out and sprinkle the perimeter.

16/06/2013 at 20:16

I got pest control in, to sort a fox problem at the allotment - there was a den next door in a neighbouring garden and the mess it left behind was unbelievable. Pest control's solution was to spray the the area with the scent of a dominate fox every two weeks for 6 weeks. To my surprise, it worked a treat and the fox moved out. 

I did ask if it could be caught and released. The answer was no.

Tried the male urine trick.....it didn't work ! Nor did human hair, collected from the hairdressers.

16/06/2013 at 22:10

Damn, another rural myth exploded! 

16/06/2013 at 23:28

I think the human hair and pee are for deer.

If a fox is causing trouble why do you want it caught and released to cause trouble somewhere else?  I can tell you that we don't want your urban foxes in the countryside, thank you very much.  They are too used to raiding dustbins to survive in the wild!

13/01/2014 at 12:04

anyone know about fox deterrents such as Scoot, or Deter Foxy?  what do they contain?

20/01/2014 at 21:44

theres a company called foxagon who give deterrent advice and the fox project rescue charity. foxes do at least keep the rat population down. if you have one with mange there are various treatments,but the one south essex wildlife hospital send works best.

1 to 20 of 22 messages