London (change)
Today 15°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 17°C / 10°C
5 messages
17/02/2012 at 15:46

I live about an hour north of Bordeaux, France and have  a beautiful hypericum hedge, about 4 feet high and 30 feet long, growing along the north side of the house, it normally stays green throughout the winter with a stunning yellow display in the summer.  This year after a mild winter, spring came early and new growth had appeared by the end January when sudden in February 2 weeks of -10c frost and snow.  Every leaf on the bush has withered and gone brown. Do I cross my (not so green) fingers and hope for the best, do I trim it back to let a much light as possible get to the base of the hedge, or do I write it off dig it up and start all over again? HELP

20/02/2012 at 22:36

I wouldn't give up on the hedge yet, wait until the weather warms up then give it a trim when you see new buds form. Good luck.

30/04/2013 at 15:42

Thanks Jeffd I took your advice and a year on and the Hypericum has recovered - it did take some hard pruning. Last Summer I removed as many dead stems as I could reach without damaging new growth, this spring I got into the heart of the patch and removed all dead stems, the new growth is abundant, so fingers crossed it will bloom this year again.

30/04/2013 at 16:02

Send us a pic when it flowers Nora, I bet it will

30/04/2013 at 16:04

Glad all went well.

email image
5 messages