London (change)
Today 20°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 10°C
9 messages
Pdh
12/08/2012 at 08:16
I have one of the following apple,plum,pear trees,they have been planted for 4years and each tree blossoms very well,but up to now no fruit from any tree,any advice appreciated.
12/08/2012 at 09:03

All three can need pollinators, Pdh, another tree of a compatible variety to pollinate the blossom. What varieties do you have?

Pdh
13/08/2012 at 10:29
Hi italophile they are Braeburn apple, Victoria plum, conference pear all on root stock. They are supposed to be self pollinators but I'm No expert and just followed the planting instructions. I have fed them also. But no fruit.
14/08/2012 at 08:46

Yes, they're self-pollinating varieties, though even self-pollinators will benefit from a compatible friend nearby. Regardless, some apples can take four or five years to produce fruit. Our pear - not a Conference, a Coscia - took five years. It could be a case of immaturity. What have you fed them with?

Pdh
14/08/2012 at 09:07
I feed them on a growmore fertiliser also a mulching around late season.
14/08/2012 at 18:06

Pollination has been poor this year because of the weather - too cold and wet for the bees. I had a similar problem on well established trees, lots of blossom and little fruit. Nothing you can do about it other than try to pollinate by hand next year but I would just let nature sort it out. It would definitely help your chances if there were suitable  trees for cross-pollination in your neighbours gardens though.

Pdh
14/08/2012 at 18:17
Thx for your advice. With me being really a novice how do I pollinate by hand?
Thank you for any advice..
14/08/2012 at 19:02

Bees do it better.  Self-fertile fruit trees will always do better with a compatible pollinator.  It might be better to concentrate on just one fruit rather than growing one of each.  Victoria is a plum everybody knows the name of but it is a challenging plum as it suffers from diseases. Conference is partially self-fertile.

23/05/2014 at 12:39

Hi I have the same problem I bought the mini orchard collection 3years now and all four look great I get fruit but 90%of the fruit just drop off and the remaing fruit just whittle away I use a fertiliser for fruit trees but still no joy the children are growing inpatient with me saying year after year next year kids I hope they are just to young yet to produce fruit 

but having read into fruit trees from this site bumper crops after the first year I don't think so the same has happened this year and they look the best they have ever done after giving them a trim autumn last year 

any ideas what I could do to get these producing fruit next year we have loads of fruit trees around our neighbourhood so pollination shouldn't be a issue 

cheers Eddie b DoncasterDoncaster

email image
9 messages