London (change)
Today 11°C / 3°C
Tomorrow 7°C / 3°C
6 messages
19/06/2014 at 22:20

My neighbour has, or had, a rather lovely fuchsia tree which has been decimated by what appears to be fuchsia gall mite. I believe this should be reported? I understand that the remains of the tree which she has removed today should be burned and not recycled. I would like more extensive information, urgently, about this pest and means of identifying correctly. Please, please help.

20/06/2014 at 00:04

It isno longer notifiable. I assume this is because it is too established and like the lily beetle, its here to stay,

some more information here....

http://rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=512

20/06/2014 at 18:06

I had fuchsia's that had this horrid disease last year. I had to destroy 7 of my lovely Fuchsia's it was just awful. I haven't seen it on the fuchsia's I have left this year so touch wood, it is gone. 

20/06/2014 at 22:54

Thank you everyone for your replies. Fidgetbones, I've read through the rhs article and the pests on my neighbour's plant are easily visible. I'm assuming it is not gall mite. Thank heavens!! 

21/06/2014 at 00:11

I have to admit.  All my years of growin and propagating fuchsias.  I have never come across this problem.  Even in the scientific fields. I have never come face to face with it.  So Mikes brain clicks into gear.  Firstly.  What is it.  What does it look like and why has it generally gone unreported.  Please believe me.  In no way do I wish to down anyone.  Please believe me.  Due to my status...if that's what it might be called...in life.  My sudden observationof some kind of infectionn to my plants.  My first reaction would be to pinch out/off the offending leaf etc.  Then to watch out for further attacks.  Believe me. Many of us gardeners, do tend to get our knickers in a twist at times.  Oh a tiny bug on my rose, oops a slime tail accross my plants.  Friends and family  We are part of a living world.  We are not the only life forms here.  Please STOP PANICKING.  Al is not what it at first appears to be.

21/06/2014 at 19:01

I have asked about Fuchsia gall mite before on the forum, if you put fuchsia gall mite into search you can see a photo I uploaded before. I did try and pinch out the infected parts but it just kept coming back and I don't like to use chemicals. I did read up on it and it isn't nice. Like you Mike until I had it on my Fuchsias I had never heard of it. All my plants are free of it now, thank goodness.

email image
6 messages