Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Fuchsia

Morning Forkers.i need information on looking after Fuchsia in my front garden....I have two shrubs still in flower..how & when do I prune them?

• I leave mine alone till there are signs of new growth in the spring  and then cut down almost to the ground.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,065

That's what I do for hardy fuchsias too as leaving the tops on helps protect the crown from frosts and then you prune back to healthy buds in spring after the worst of the frosts.    I would also mulch the crown with some well rotted garden compost or spent potting compost as further protection and take a few cuttings as insurance.

For tender fuchsias, they need lifting soon and taking into shelter.   I would also take cuttings as insurance.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • Verdun,they are hardy shrubs,no labels,well established! Should I cut back as they still have flowers?

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

Why would you want to cut the flowers off!  Leave them going as long as possible, if you want, you could trim lightly to keep it neat, but I do as others say and wait for new growth in March/April time then right off as low to the ground as poss.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• I have many fuscias of different strains.

Leave them until the spring / no chance of any further frost. The cut to ground level. I haven't lost one yet.

• I have giant fusias in a pot I'm not sure if they are hardy or not I'm not sure what i should do with them I don't have a greenhouse and haven't really gto the space indoors for them Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

• I have a half hardy fuchsia called 'Blacky' which is overwintering in the porch - when and how should I prune it? Porch faces East so I've got buds and a couple of flowers on it now. 

• Arthur1Arthur1 Posts: 542

could cut back a bit if you want to tidy it. Otherwise, I find it better to do the final hard prune in late March or April.