Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

fungus gnats on houseplants!

It's happened repeatedly,a family member brings a gift of a houseplant and suddenly all the indoor plants, windowsills and blinds are covered with fungus gnats!Has anyone any natural remedies please that don't involve chemicals?

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

Yes, cover the soil in all of your pots with about an inch of horicultural grit and only water from the bottom.  The adults will have nowhere to lay their eggs but it will take a few weeks for the cycle to be broken.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • little-annlittle-ann Posts: 878

I use Lakelands fly papers, they are printed with Daisy's so don't look so unsightly as the plain brown ones

Sorry it's on its side

• madpenguinmadpenguin Posts: 2,543

I use something similar,sticky yellow butterflies that you stick in the pot.

Think I got them from Kleeneze?

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • VoyagerxpVoyagerxp Posts: 651

I used Gnat off

Eradicates Fungus Gnat (Black Fly)

Fungus Gnats or Black Fly lay their larvae in the root zone of your plants.

These larvae then burrow into the root zone to feed, carrying with them infections in their gut which multiply in the root zone, breeding disease.

Fungus Gnat Off works by targeting a special enzyme in the gut of the larvae, killing them in the root zone thereby eradicating the problem.

This 100% natural organic concentrate is diluted to mix into your reservoir, or watering can. It does not affect beneficial nematodes, hypoaspis or orius.

Lavicidal action is expected within 24 hour

• LeifUKLeifUK Posts: 573

As said earlier, water from the bottom, and put grit on top. I used Gnats offf, it was worse than useless, and made things worse. I tried flypaper, without success. Yes they caught huge numbers, but not all. It only takes one female to lay eggs and wham, they are back. In the end Pyrethrin powder on the soil surface did the trick. It has low toxicity but can kill cats. Ideal then. I am kidding. Do take care if you have cats. 

• I hate fungus gnats!! :s
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117
    old thread....we're onto you Carolyn :D
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...