Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Fungus gnats

I've noticed i've some little gnat/flies walking around my seedlings, my fault with over watering but what can i use to stop them in there tracks.

Would Bug Clear do the trick?

http://www.garnersgardencentre.co.uk/gardening/chemicals/plant-insecticides/scotts-bug-clear-ultra-concentrate.html

• bobisherebobishere Posts: 13
    It is not the flies which are the problem, the larvae are. they eat the roots of the plant. what i would do is put fly traps around the plants which catch the females before they can lay their eggs.
  • me londonme london Posts: 119

I had them in a pot in my bathroom and ran cellotape around the edges and across the pot so the sticky side was facing outwards/upwards, and just left it. It does slowly catch em, nothing fast, but got there in the end ok.

• Hi Voyaerxp! 

It'd be great to know what kinds of seedlings you have. Are they edible or are they for show only? If you intend to eventually grow fruit for consumption from the seedlings, it might be best to use something with BTI, which is a natural larvicide. It takes a few days to start working, but it stops the problem at the source--the larvae. BTI can be found in many mosquito dunk-type products, you'll just want the granule formulas since it's for soil. You probably know, but you'll want to make sure the soil dries out a little more between waterings to keep the problem from reoccurring.

Good luck!

• VoyagerxpVoyagerxp Posts: 651

They are garden flowers mostly Agapanthus, Agapanthus praecox ssp. minimus 'Peter Pan', alpine/ground covering plants and some Monkey Puzzle Tree seedlings. I'm very new at growing my own plants from seed but really enjoying it.