Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Fungus on peas

Usually my peas are harvested in late July/early August.  But this year, with the odd weather we have had, they are several weeks late.  For the first time, I have found them becoming covered in white mould - the pods and leaves, although the peas themselves are, thus far, unaffected.  I expect that the cropping will be shorter than usual, and intend to pick and then freeze the surplus rather than let the crop be ruined.  (A bit of a shame really, since the sweetness of fresh peas is beyond anything you can buy.)

Has anyone else experienced this?  Any comments/remedies?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Is it powdery mildew?

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• pr1mr0sepr1mr0se Posts: 1,193

I think so - but I've never had it before so I'm open to suggestion!

Keeping them well-watered should help.  I've heard that a foliar-feed of diluted seaweed fertiliser can help too, but I've never tried it.  The theory is that the seaweed fertiliser 'builds up' the plant quickly and helps it not to succumb to the mildew.  I would think it's worth trying.

Good luck - absolutely agree with you - fresh-picked peas are the only way to go, (other than little frozen petit pois) image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

Thanks for that.  I'll give it a go - tho' unlikely to be able to do anything for a couple of days if the weather forecast is anything to go by image

Well, if your weather's anything like ours today, they'll have been well-watered image

We had a small window of dryness this morning - and I took the decision to pick & freeze.  But I've noted your suggestions for the future - and simple preventative action next year may help keep the mildew at bay!

• SV - It's almost certainly powdery mildew your peas have.....blame Michael Fish!

Milk is an effective spray for it. Mix the milk at a ratio of 1 part milk to 9 parts water & spray weekly.

I did wonder about the milk and water spray which I know is effective for courgettes that succombe to mildew.  Again - I'll file it away for future reference.  Peas are now safely gathered in and in the freezer!  Thanks for the advice David.