Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Fungus spray for seedings

Hello has anyone got a recipe for a fungus spray mix for spraying a seed tray to stop damping off

Clueless

• Here is a garlic spray for hostas

Rachel de Thame took time out to visit a viewers garden in Hampshire – self confessed ‘Hostaholics’ June & John have created a lush Hosta paradise in their back garden. Perfectly manicured and cleverly designed, Rachel discovers the top tips to keeping the dreaded slugs at bay and the Hosta leaves perfect, something that can be used to deter slugs and snails at this time of the year is a home made garlic spray.

John’s Recipe for Garlic spray

1 x Bulb Garlic
    1 x Litre of water

Crush the garlic bulb, add to the water + boil for 5 minutes.

After cooling, strain the liquid and store in the fridge.

Dilute the solution 1 tablespoon per litre and spray the plants and surrounding soil.

this was found on the web and is from the bbc 2011

clueless

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

Clueless - Think I may have watched the programme. The spray was used on hosta's in the garden to repel slugs and snails, not to prevent damping off. 

Haven't got a spray recipe but vermisculite helps prevent damping off, a thin layer on sowed seeds allows light in for germination but will help prevent the stems from getting to wet/moist when they germinate by absorbing excessive moisture which it then releases as the compost dries. Watering from underneath also helps to prevent damping off, and you'll know when to stop watering because when vermisculte becomes saturated it changes colour and will be darker.

When potting up new seedlings you don't need to cover all the compost in the pot just ensure vermisculite is around the stem.

Garlic spray however is ever so effective for detering slugs and snails if started early, in March, before the little critters start appearingimage

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Have you tried bordeaux mixture clueless? can be used for fungal infections.

alternatively bayer do a fruit and disease control spray, which is apparently just as effective as cheshunt was.

• I shall be making the garlic spray, also I have bought watering mats & ordered more vermiculite I'm nearly ready for the spring just some more seeds to buy and paper pots to make (for plants to give away). I think I shall order so plastic bag pots today 300 should do it.

Clueless

• Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,488

Using perlite/vermiculite in the seeding mix, top dressing with grit and using a fan all reduce dampening off. Not overwatering also helps.

• hello Clueless, I've found spraying a strong infusion of chamomile tea is helpful for preventing damping off. mist your seedlings with the tea instead of plain water.