London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 13°C
10 messages
17/07/2013 at 10:21

Hi all

i previously posted to ask for advice as we bought a new house complete with totally weed filled gardens.  We have dug out all the main trees and took up as many weeds as we can, we also used plenty of glyphosate weedkiller on all the gardens (as previously advised on here) but some of the weeds are just too big and too deep set and have come back...ARGH.  My brother and i were trying to dig out what looked like some pretty straight forward dandelions yesterday but the roots went down more than a foot and were over an inch thick!

Anyhoo, we are at the end of our tether with it, all we want is a nice blank canvas at the back to turf over and do some pretty borders, and a small front garden free of weeds so that i can start a nice fragrant rock garden.

I have a damaged spine so constant digging is not an option for me so what can i use on the gardens to kill the deeper set weed roots?  Is there anything i can buy from say Wilkinsons that might help to get rid of some more weeds and roots before i go ahead and start planting all my nice plants and shrubs?

any help would be amazing and if you need any more info then please get back to me asap!  

17/07/2013 at 11:40

Glyphosate will do the job, but you have to give it time.  You should spray it on the leaves then wait for the leaves to die down completely (up to 6 weeks.)  If you remove the foliage before then, the roots may not be killed and you then have to wait for the leaves to grow again, spray, then wait another few weeks for them to die down.  If you can't dig the roots out, then you have to wait for the glyphosate to work fully.

If you are desperate to get the new plants in, then do so and label them all.  If anything comes up which isn't labelled, apply a glyphosate gel directly to the leaves instead of spraying so that you don't damage the new plants.

17/07/2013 at 13:20

Hi bob, thanks for a great reply!  We did actually use the glyphosate around 3 months ago now when everything was really thick, some died back but there are some weeds that just will not die. Is glyphosate the strongest stuff i can use?  I am tempted to find something stronger and use it on the worst affected areas.

thanks again!

17/07/2013 at 13:25

some weeds will need glyphosate twice.  dont dig it out until it has died down naturally. if it regrows give it another lot.

17/07/2013 at 16:23

Hi davielovesgravy, Resolva 24h is a good one, works within 24 hours (no surprise there)!  Quicker than glyphosate.

18/07/2013 at 07:56

Hi paulaH thanks for that, have you ever tried it on deep thick stubborn weeds? Did it work ok?  Cheers.

18/07/2013 at 08:01

Resolva's the best one davie. Only one worth having. It's fast and it works 

18/07/2013 at 09:02

I was also looking for strong weedkiller to get rid of bamboo.

The RHS site suggests - scotts roundup ultra 3000 - it's NOT cheap!

Good luck!

19/07/2013 at 09:15

Thanks a lot Fairygirl and Pete8, i will go and buy on or the other this weekend and get spraying those little buggers, hopefully should have my gardens done in time to enjoy the last few weeks of summer.

19/07/2013 at 09:43

Good luck, DLG!  Have faith - the glyphosate will work, eventually - you might have to accept that your first year in your new house is mainly about getting it 'clean', but it will be worth it next year, honest!  Also, I'd say don't expect to get rid of every last weed - you have not failed if you still get quite a few coming up here and there, that's just the nature of gardening.  You're aiming just to get a bit ahead of the game and clear the worst of them out of the way.

Don't lose heart with the digging - once you've got most of the ground clear and your plants in, then you ought to have minimal digging needed - especially if you are able to stay on top of it with really, really regular light hoeing and snipping through the season - a little and often works well.

Finally, I've discovered the joys of mulch!  We put a thick, thick layer of leafmould down over winter, and it is a delight because although some weeds (eg ground elder, grrrrr) still come through they are really easy to get out because they have been seduced up into this lovely loose layer of mulch that their roots can't get a good grip on. 

So hang on in their and don't get downhearted - the first year is the toughest and IT IS ALL WORTHWHILE!  Enjoy, and let us know how you get on.

PS there are stronger weedkillers you can use IF you don't intend to plant anything in the soil afterwards - eg where you are going to have paths etc.  But I assume that doesn't apply?

email image
10 messages