London (change)
Today 13°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 5°C
11 messages
21/05/2013 at 20:31

Every year I plant a yellow/red border with coreopsis, gaillardia and other perrenials in the same colour range. Every year the gaillardias die and have to be replaced while everything else seems to survive reasonably well. Does anyone else have the same problem and what am I doing wrong. Is there a solution to my woes?

21/05/2013 at 20:55

I love gaillardia , but grow it each year from seed - mine doesnt survive so I understood it to be an annual . This year If I get the heating sorted in my greenhouse I shall try and over winter some . Are yours alright until the first frosts ? I lose some of mine then unless they are protected by other foilage such as phormium .

It is the same with Rudbeckia's too .

21/05/2013 at 21:01

I have always understood them to be perrenials... at least the ones I grow are, and they are sold in the perrenial section of the GC. I shall look them up and come back.

21/05/2013 at 21:18

Although most of them are perennials it is not unusual for them not to survive our winters, so they are probably best treated as annuals.

21/05/2013 at 21:30

I have the same problem with 'perennial' gallardia and some coreopsis and as for coneflowers (echinacea) a complete waste of time (and $$$). I have found coreopsis 'Zagreb" to be hardy (3rd year now) and roots well from cuttings. Coreopsis 'limerock ruby' which in my ignorance appeared to look similiar to "Zagreb" was a complete failure. I'm on the Wirral and have quite a frost pocket but I would be very interested to hear of any varieties that people have found to be hardier

21/05/2013 at 21:40

If so many of us seem to have problems with Gaillardias, and they behave as if they are annuals, perhaps the powers that be  and growers should consider relabelling them as annuals? At the very least they should come with a health warning. Perhaps this year I will dig them up and overwinter them under cover. Echinaceas are another plant that either disappear or go downhill in year 2. This week I dug over my bed and found lots of coreopsis still viable. But not sure of variety. 

Thanks everyone so far... your comments have explained lots.

Lyn
21/05/2013 at 22:13

Maybe I can help you with gaillardias, i had the ones called kobald, after they flowered, they shot out little side plants, if you dig down you get a bit of root on, pot them up and keep in greenhouse over winter, i have just planted t

hem out now. 

22/05/2013 at 21:51

Thank you Lyn, I will look out for 'Kobald" and give it a try.

-
22/05/2013 at 22:39

It might be my less-than-reasonable garden, but the shoots my gaillardias produced

have not been the healthiest, rather short-lived instead.

22/05/2013 at 22:54

A few years ago, led in part by the RHS we were all encouraged to plant "prarie gardens/beds"... remember Piet Ouldorf? I was never very impressed by the basic untidy mess which many of these new borders appeared to be. The effort at Wisley was particularly unimpressive. It now appears that some of the recommended plants (see above) are not particularly suited to our conditions. I would guess that the basic problem is our winters rather than the summers. In the meantime we have all spent a shedload of money acieving very little. Shame? Beware untried new fads.

23/05/2013 at 06:58

I love the prairie borders at Wisley !  Each to their own.

I have some Gallardias, bought last year, that have come through the winter.  They look healthy now, but remains to be seen whether they will flower.  I am in the SouthEast, but in a frost pocket.  My rudbeckias make it through most years too (not the one when we were down to -15!) - but echinaceas are a bit hit and miss.

I do have problems with coreopsis being eaten to extinction - is that likely to be slugs ??

email image
11 messages