Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Garden Beds

can anyone please help me I have just started gardening and i am wanting to dig my garden beds i have been on the net and i am getting conflicting information some sites say the depth should be 8 inch's and other sites say the depth should be 24 inch's i am growing lupins and red hot pokers can any one advise me what the correct depth for these plants should be .

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

What do you mean Wills?  Are you digging the borders in readiness to plant out lupins and red hot pokers?  If you are clearing the beds then I would say turn them over a fork or spades depth to clear the weeds and break up the soil.

• DorsetUKDorsetUK Posts: 441

I don't know where you got the 24 inches from but someone is having you on. Agree with Forester2, spade or fork depth will be plenty and pull out the weed roots as you go. Why those particular plants? Very colourful but they're a bit of an odd mix. 

• BizzieBBizzieB Posts: 885

Hi, assume the area has already been dug over and compost added. I usually dig a hole twice the size of the plant in pot, width and depth, work loose soil at bottom of hole, take plant out of pot and site on loose soil. If too low in ground add more loose soil, if to high etc., Gently add loose soil to cover roots and plan stem to depth as was in pot. Firm soil around plant and water well to settle roots.

I'm sure others will join in soon. Good luck.image

• WintersongWintersong Posts: 2,436

the 24inches probably refers to double digging or as it was commonly known bastard digging. It's not really needed unless you have incredibly horrible soil, a terrible drainage problem or some other sub-soil issue such as compaction which can be refered to as a hard pan. Think yourself lucky! image

• WillsWills Posts: 262

Thanks to you all for taking the time to reply my query Forester 2 yes I had started to dig out the beds ready for planting out my plants but at  24 inch's the bed I dug out looked like I was digging for gold. Dorset uk to be honest I liked the look of them and I have a hi fence all around my garden so thought I would have a go at growing them and they have came up much to my surprise .Bizzie B I have taken your advice on board . and last but know means least winter song  you may well be right about the 24 inch's being double digging I will dig down a spades depth and get my plants out image.