London (change)
Today 24°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 23°C / 17°C
13 messages
21/04/2013 at 20:56

Hi all

I am looking to paint my shed and after using cuprinol shades around the garden for a few things I would like to paint my shed in a colour rather than a stain.

Is there another paint I can use in the garden rather than a specific garden paint as they are so expensive, perhaps I am being silly but there must be another paint that is suitable.

Thanks in advance

21/04/2013 at 21:27

Google "exterior wood paint".  They can be found in all colours, but are not as common as interior paints.  One of the results from google was AGW and when you click '"view options" on their "osmo" exterior paint, there are over 30 colours to choose from!  All exterior finishes are a bit expensive though as they are formulated to stand up to the elements.

21/04/2013 at 22:57

If your shed is made of sawn timber, ie is rough, then you can't really paint it and will have to use a garden timber stain of some sorts.

If it is smooth planed wood however, then you could paint it with an exterior paint, but to get a good finish you would really need to prime, undercoat and topcoat, and that would not be a cheap option.

22/04/2013 at 00:27

Tootsie Tim, that is true of some exterior paints but not all of them:

http://www.osmouk.com/previewpage.cfm?bookid=book001&chapter=5&page=115

22/04/2013 at 07:59

Bob-that's a lovely site. Will take some time to have a look later!

Thanks 

I think I need to get out more...

22/04/2013 at 08:25

Just had a look at the link above; colours are a bit unsubtle? There may be some water based paints that you could use, like externel masonry paints but check for suitability. Suggest email Dulux Paints, and other firms; they have paint boffins who are dying to share their knowledge.

23/04/2013 at 14:40

Thanks all, just looked on dulux website you can use their weathershield, will check out the colours I can use. Osmo colours are lovely, the grey is exactly what I want, seems like it might be expensive though.

23/04/2013 at 18:15

It may not be of any help to you but comfort yourself with the price or Curpinol on Belgium - €38.50 a tin and limited colour range.  I need to treat a new shed and it looks like OH will be coming back with a boot full when he goes to Kent an a fewweeks' time.

25/04/2013 at 21:04

Thanks all.  I decided to just buy garden paint, I bought Ronseal cornflower garden paint, it is a bit watery but looks fantastic. Has transformed my shed

25/04/2013 at 21:48

after years of using various woodstain paints, my shed has had it and is gone. one year i coated it with 3 coats. next year it needed doing again. after all that time consuming and expense I've given up with those. I have just coated my picnic table with 3 coats of danish oil. looks great and cost about twice the price but i reckon i will not need to do it again. ok it's not a paint but consider it next time you do garden furniture? just putting it out there.

05/09/2013 at 19:38

Has anyone tried using the Protek Royal Exterior Wood Finish range? The blurb reads well and it appears to come in about 50 different colours. I'm really keen on the greys in the "soft colours" palette.

05/09/2013 at 19:41

Oops.  Here's a link to the product I'm talking about

http://www.protekwoodstain.co.uk/wood-stain/soft-colours-2

05/09/2013 at 20:11

email image
13 messages