London (change)
Today 24°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 16°C
20 messages
15/05/2014 at 20:40

CAN I PUT AROUND FLOWERS OTHER THAN SLUG PELLETS TO STOP, PESTS EATING THEM?

15/05/2014 at 21:57

My garden has a lot of caterpillars this year, little you can do about that apart from go out and pick em off. You can try systemic garlic sprays (you boil a clove of garlic then let it cool and spray that on all your plants). It does work but is systemic so takes months for the plants to take up the garlic odor, which puts off many herbivores. Your garden will also smell of it...

15/05/2014 at 23:16

Hi Shelley,

I have some young Sunflowers that are getting a hammering from slugs and snails. Tonight I tried something and tomorrow I'll find out if it worked.

Take an empty plastic coke bottle,say the 2 litre ones. Get a sharp knife and slice off the top and likewise the bottom.You should be left with a plastic 'cylinder'. Now cut this lengthwise on one side from top to bottom.Get some neat washing up liquid and smear a line of it around the outside of the plastic bottle.Then place it around the plant,pushing it slightly into the soil/compost. The bottle,being plastic will spring back to its cylindrical shape around the plant and the line of washing up liquid 'should' prevent critters from slithering up and dropping inside.Well that's the theory anyway 

15/05/2014 at 23:25

thank you,  it my sunflower getting a hammering 2  will try your theory

15/05/2014 at 23:33

If my slug killing session just now hasn't worked Fishy I will try your tip tomorrow.  Last night I lost a Velvet Queen and a Black Magic sunflower, I bought them especially for the colour and they had grown into lovely plants so am not a happy bunny!!  I have been out 3 times tonight and killed about a dozen slugs which have gone on the lawn for the birds in the morning.  I also found a couple of baby frogs so have put them on the border, away from the dogs and also in the hope that they will find their supper 

15/05/2014 at 23:53

I have just been out with torch amd saline,solution picking up slugs amd snails.  I find doing this is effective. The slug, etc population is greatly reduced....at least the damage is.  Currently I grow several hostas.....all are clean, as they are most years, and it's because of 3 things.  The night patrol, the birds (I have plenty) and frogs from the pool. Oh, 4 things!  I use pellets albeit very, very sparingly in early spring.  

16/05/2014 at 00:02

I don't know where the frogs tonight have come from, we don't have a pond and none of the neighbours do??  There were a couple the other night too, I actually wet all the patio for them.....then realised it would also encourage the slugs 

What do you do with the slugs and saline solution Verdun?

16/05/2014 at 01:10

Fishy65 - what happens if it rains? Will you find soap-suds in your container? It probably won't harm the plants in the short term whilst they get going, but I would recommend a smear of garlic paste around the rim and sides instead. The slugs and snails  won't like it at all.

16/05/2014 at 08:20

That's a good point Lilydotwin,though the smear of washing up liquid is minimal.However,if this works then I think garlic would indeed be a better choice 

16/05/2014 at 08:57

My sunflowers were safe last night 

16/05/2014 at 12:52

Mine too OL,no evidence of additional damage so now they might be able to push on.Once they get big enough they'll be able to stand up to a nibbling snail here and there 

16/05/2014 at 12:53

I'm wondering whether new leaves will grow, they should do as they are only about a foot tall, if that so I will continue to grow....hopefully all is not lost. Glad yours were ok Fishy.

16/05/2014 at 13:18

Have some had every single leaf eaten OL? Much as I'm a nature lover,it really is disheartening when you grow a plant from seed only to feed the local gastropods.My tallest is about 3ft and they seem vulnerable even at that height.

Thank you OL,however one is looking very poorly.

16/05/2014 at 13:21

One of them has had all the leaves eaten, I'm not very good at biology but I think they need the leaves to grow as they soak up the light/sun.....is that right (Photosynthesis rings a bell )?  If it is then it will die but I'll wait and see.  I might ask my son that when he gets home actually, he should know having just sat a biology GCSE!!

16/05/2014 at 15:38

Ah yes,photosynthesis...that takes me back,a long way back   Well yes leaves are a plant's solar panels,its how they convert light to energy with all the xylem,phloem thingys.So a plant with no leaves is not good news for that plant. I'm sure your son knows more than either of us OL 

16/05/2014 at 19:26

Would a mulch of seaweed stop slugs, if left unwashed the salt remains on it. I use seaweed as a mulch in pots, there isn't sufficient salt to harm the plants and can't say I've had a major problem with slugs eating those plants.

I also spray with a home made seaweed feed, doesn't kill them, they go and eat something else  but it keeps the pests at bay.   

19/05/2014 at 02:34

Hi shelley you could try putting nasturtiums. they are beautiful and also a natural pest repelling plant. I have some on my backyard. Here's an article on what other plants you can put http://www.topbest.ph/blog/5-plants-repel-pests/

19/05/2014 at 07:35

thanks for all your help guys n girls xx

19/05/2014 at 08:58

i caught 19 slugs in one night last week using 2 beer traps.... have certainly noticed a reduction in night time nibbling since then!

26/05/2014 at 14:15

thank you x

email image
20 messages