London (change)
Today 18°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 15°C
9 messages
28/05/2012 at 08:39

Apologies if this subject has already been covered on the 'B&Q Compost Issues' forum thread.  (There are so many posts that my computer jams trying to get to the end of the large number of comments on that thread).

BBC website (under Scotland tag) has article by Eleanor Bradford, one of the health correspondents about a health warning and  possible  (but not 100% proven)link with compost and strand of  legionnaires disease which seems to relate to Scotland only.  However, the report does briefly mention changes in manufacture of compost but not in detail.   It may turn out that the source will not be the actual compost (ie legionnaires carried on water droplets etc) but whether scaremongering or not, it's perhaps interesting that compost was linked with the report subject.  Perhaps it will open up further investigation into the compost production issues.

28/05/2012 at 10:03

Nothing to do with the compost discusion, but if you click on 'go to last unread post' at the left of the thread page, you will get quickly to the end of it.  It does save ages going through the whole thing, unless you want to re-read it all. 

28/05/2012 at 11:20
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-18206191

This the link to the article that Yarrow2 mentioned.
28/05/2012 at 11:23

I bet Alys is happy to be associated with bad compost.

PS. If you hit Reply it will also take you to the last post.

28/05/2012 at 12:35

It was also on the bbc news (northeast) this morning - its about time an investigation into compost quality was done, because some of it isn't fit to bagged let alone be used, IMO.

28/05/2012 at 15:12

This is a story that emerged last year, or was it the year before?

29/05/2012 at 11:57

Many thanks for the information! (Yarrow2) and for the url (Figrat)!

...there are still novice gardeners (like me) who never heard of such mishaps, and would never have looked on the BBC Scotland website for getting gardening advice/news!

29/05/2012 at 18:45

legionnaires carried on water droplets in the compost has always been the case.

This was on the news last year and the year before that etc.

29/05/2012 at 19:00

.... indeed it was, and probably always will be as long as there are new gardeners coming along.  Bit like the 'can you eat the tomatoes you get on the potato plants' question, but still, better to ask about it than get sick I think. 

email image
9 messages