Start a new thread

1 to 13 of 13 replies

Could someone tell me please if when you take geranium cuttings you have to put a plastic bag over the cuttings to stop from drying out? Is sharp sand/compost okay for them to root in.   I've never taken them before.

Lilylouise

Hello Veronica - I don't cover my Geranium cuttings and a mix of sharp sand or vermiculite and compost is great

Pam LL x

sotongeoff

Compost is fine-I would not cover them-it causes too high a humidity and leads to rotting.

A bit of bottom heat helps if you can do that

Hi Lilylouise

Ooh your a star thank you very much.  Do you just leave them in the greenhouse then?

Hi sotongeoff

Thank you so much.  My husband made me a sand box with heating cables under the sand would you put them in the box then on a low heat?

Advertisement

sotongeoff

You can but if a frost is threatened bring them in-the cold and damp see of more plants than actual cold but when the bad weather arrives they will need protection

sotongeoff
Veronica3 wrote (see)

Hi sotongeoff

Thank you so much.  My husband made me a sand box with heating cables under the sand would you put them in the box then on a low heat?

That will be perfect-sorry crossed posting

Hi sotongeoff

Thank you very much.

Lilylouise

My cuttings stay in my frostfree greenhouse for the winter Veronica

Pam LL x

ginagibbs

now is a good time Barrie

Atilla

Root cuttings are very easy for hardy Geranium and more dependable than stem cuttings.

Pelagoniums / also called Geraniums (the non-hardy smelly ones) - you can root cuttings in water and they root within weeks.

I use a compost, sand and vermiculite mix.

I will be starting my cuttings at the end of August and they are kept in a frost free greenhouse over winter, along with the parent plants.