Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Getting into horticulture professionally

Hi everyone

I would be so grateful for as much advice as possible please! I want to get into horticulture professionally but have know idea how many areas there are within the umbrella of 'horticulture' and no idea where to start to get into the industry.  Ideally I'd be looking for an apprenticeship but am also looking at some voluntry positions to get some experience.

Any advice about getting experience and getting into the industry professionally would be so greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance!

• ColinAColinA Posts: 392

Hello

Depending where you live there could be an agricultural/horticultural college nearby.

Horticulture covers many aspects from growing plants to selling and servicing all the types of domestic and proffessional machinery

• steephillsteephill Posts: 2,841

http://www.rhs.org.uk/Courses/Horticultural-training is good place to start. The RHS is focusing on horticulture as a profession this year. They are currently looking for 4 apprentices, two at Wisley and two at Hyde Hall. The advice to look for a local college is very sound. What region are you in?

• Try the Grow website.  There is a list of horticultural professions, what they do, qualifications required, and where to go for more information.  There is everything under the sun there relating to Horticulture, from things as simple as under-gardener to research scientist for seed companies or even the Government!

If you are still at school or college, is there any chance you could get a saturday or part-time job at a Garden Centre?  Colleges and Universities will look for things like this when deciding who to offer a place to, sometimes what you do outside of school is just as important as the grades you achieve in exams.

• jen 1jen 1 Posts: 2

Thank you so much everyone.  I really appreciate all your advice.

To answer your question steephill, I'm in Cheltenham, gloucestershire.