21 to 26 of 26 messages
22/05/2014 at 19:00

New question!  I have bindweed in one third of my vegetable patch.  I had heard that you train it up a cane and then apply a weedkiller you can get rid of it?  Any advice???

22/05/2014 at 20:36

Hi, clare, welcome to the forum.

I asked a similar Q several weeks ago, I'll bump up the thread it's titled - Help...marestail and other nasties... 

Training up canes is one way of killing it, I used roundup on some a few days ago which had grown about 2ft. Ever so pleased with the result, the bindweed is already begining to go brown. I painted it on, there's a risk of killing other plants if you spray. Better to do it when rain isn;t forcast too...

23/05/2014 at 09:29

bindweed - train it up a bamboo cane, then when it gets to about three foot tall carefully remove it from the cane and put it in a plastic bag with no holes - make sure its still connected to the roots - then add some (about an egg cup worth should do) of premixed roundup/glyphosate to the bag, make sure everything gets a good dose and tie the bag up, wait two weeks, cut the bindweed off at ground level and bin the bag/dead bindweed top. with it being in a bag you can do it in any weather and there is less collateral damage to other plants nearby.

that should control the bindweed

23/05/2014 at 10:07

Bindweed and I have become extremely intimate.  So far bindweed 1 - 0!!  I don't use any weedkiller, just keep pulling it up as it grows and gently teasing out the long white roots when I find them.  I must admit I find it extremely satisfying when I loosen the soil and manage to pull up a long root (12" plus). There is certainly less growth this year than last, and I pull up any bit I see in growth at every opportunity.  I appreciate this would not have any impact in a big garden (mine is quite small) but I am a great fan of wildlife and insects, so prefer to have a bit of bindweed than risk killing bees etc.  Good luck with your endeavours, just so glad I only have a bindweed problem and not Japenese Knotweed - the 'Devil' plant

23/07/2014 at 09:17

When you say paint the leaves, do you have to paint all of them or just a few? My plants and trees are literally covered with the nasty stuff. The big white trumpets look very pretty but they need to go!

23/07/2014 at 09:27

You'll have to paint  most of them. Imagine the extent of the root that goes with that lot.

Or you can do what the previous poster does

email image
21 to 26 of 26 messages