London (change)
Today °C / °C
Tomorrow °C / °C
5 messages
21/05/2013 at 23:29

I have an unwanted blackberry plant growing in my garden. I'm not sure how it arrived, but it's right next to an old rose bush and almost in the middle of some emerging bulbs and flowers.

For the last couple of years, I've tried pulling it up but it appears again the following year. I don't want to dig up the soil at that spot too much because of the rose bush.

This year, when it appeared, I thought I'd try weed killer on it to kill the root, but that doesn't seem to be working either (it worked well on other weeds and unwanted herbs, though it took a couple of weeks). Some of its leaves have gone brown around the edges whilst others have continued to grow and more keep appearing.

Any suggestions that won't risk damaging the rose bush and nearby plants/bulbs? I know it's nice to have your own berries, but it's not wanted at this spot and is probably stealing nutrients from the soil that would better go to the flowers and bulbs.

21/05/2013 at 23:40

Is it a bramble; that is a wild blackberry?  It sounds like it.

The only reall way to get rid of it in that position is to dig it up.  Otherwise you will probably have to live with it there, and just keep cutting off the shoots.

22/05/2013 at 00:05

Roots only go down a spade and a half.  They're very brittle, though, so you'd have to be careful to get all of the bits.  It can regenerate itself from the tiniest bit of root.  I'd dig out all that you can, each little bit that reappears will be a little bit weaker, and eventually it won't come up at all.

You just have to be more stubborn than the bramble.

24/06/2013 at 19:10

Just an update to this problem. It looks like the blackberry bramble is dead, though perhaps it'll return next year.

It was resisting weed killer spray, so what I did was tear up pieces of kitchen towel to cover the leaves and then sprayed it. The tissue soaked up more week killer and smothered the leaves so that more went in. It rained a few days later and between that and the wind, the paper came away, but the plant seems to be dying off properly. The whole thing is brown and shrivelling up now.

There was actually a second branble a few feet away (unless it was the same one connected under ground) but I wasn't able to spray that as it was in the middle of a dense patch of sprouting flowers. So I just cut it back to the ground. No doubt it'll keep growing.

24/06/2013 at 19:39

A few weeks after rasing one to the ground, I soaked (to the degree that it was dripping) a load of kitchen towel too, but but it in a strong plastic bag (one of the freezer ones) and stuffed as many of the emerging leaves and stalk that I could into it, taping all up round the bottom so the weed killer didn't drip on the soil or other plants.  It probably won't be permanent (I really believe this particular bramble is immortal) but it has certainly slowed it down, and to my great satisfaction one of it's babies has died back too.  (It probably has more offspring, but they are in with a load of other rubbish that I can't get to because there are birds nesting in there.)  Anyway it's worth a shot when your cut back one springs to life again.

email image
5 messages