Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Getting rid of brambles

chickychicky Posts: 10,409

I have a bramble problemimage

We have two established deciduous azaleas, which have lovely scented flowers in spring and great autumn leaves.  They are probably about 20 years old, and have spread over a grassy area.

the problem is that they have brambles growing through them - so much so that this year you can hardly see their autumn colour for the dreaded bramble leaves growing through.

each year I spend the winter ripping out as much as I can, but there is no room to get in there and dig out the roots, and each year they come back stronger than last.  I think I am going to have to resort to weedkiller, but don't want to damage/kill the azaleas in the process.

Any ideas on what I should do???

• I would wait until spring and when the new bramble leaves are growing strongly I'd paint on some Brushwood Killer or similar.  You can mix it with wallpaper paste to stop it dripping onto the azaleas.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• chickychicky Posts: 10,409

Wonderful - many thanks for your advice.  Here is the before photoimage

Hopefully I can add a much more beautiful "after" one this time next year!

Thanks guys - Did I ever mention how much I LOVE this forumimageimage

I will tackle it bit by bit, with one of you on each of my shoulders and Dove yelling encouragement from the sidesimage

Off to source pipecleaners nowimage

I'll do my best

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

imageimageimage

• steephillsteephill Posts: 2,841

image None of my extensive Bramble collection have hollow stems so I don't see how you could inject weedkiller or insert pipecleaners into them. Am I missing something?

Cutting back followed by repeated application of Glyphosate on the new leaves will work though.