Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Getting rid of stubborn green manure

Iäve been using various green manures during the years without any problems but last year I tried clovers and someting containg ryegrass. I thought they would die down in the winter but the ryegrass is refusing to give way. I have a containter where it has totally taken over. It has gotten to the point where I am thinking of reaching for the glyphosate. I have tried to dig it in but it is not yeilding. Might not have dug it in deep enough though...

As for the clover, can I just cut it down. It looks just unkept in some places where it has taken up a permanent residency.

• Reygrass is winter hardy.  It's doing it's job and preventing the leaching of nutrients from the soil over the winter.  I can imagine however that it's a bit too 'substantial' for containers - I would cut it short with shears and add the shearings to your compost bin, then dig in the remaining short grass and roots.  Do the same with the clover. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• SwedboySwedboy Posts: 394

For some reason in the borders it has vanished it is just in one of the containers it just refuses to give up. I'll get the shearers out.

Garden sadly too small for a compost bin. I use a wormery but not for the garden waste as it doesn't break down quickly enough. The council gets that.

• If your garden is that small I wouldn't bother with green manures - they can be more trouble than they're worth - I'd cover any bare soil with farmyard manure for the winter and let the weather break it down and wash the nutrients into the soil.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• SwedboySwedboy Posts: 394

The previous mixes I have used have worked fine so I didn't expect this to cause a problem. I quite like the idea so that is why I do it.

• Then I'd go back to using the types that worked well - different horses for different courses image

http://www.greenmanure.co.uk/advice/choosing-the-right-green-manure/