London (change)
Today 22°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
15 messages
10/06/2014 at 09:16

Anyone else feeling plagued by gnats this year?  It's making it unpleasant to sit out in the garden in the evenings at mo.   I assume it's the hot and wet weather.

Anyone got any tips on keeping them away?  I'd tolerate them in the garden if they could just stay off the patio!! Bit weird them loving the patio - there's no water. 

I've got the girls coming over tomorrow night and it'll be a shame if we can't sit out.  Off to buy some citronella candles at lunchtime.  Anyone know if they work?  Anything else I could try?

10/06/2014 at 09:42

I never used to mind the gnats, because they seemed to attract the bats. But we have noticed that there was no bats last year or this year so far.

I'd try citronella candles. Also if you can get some  pure citronella oil from the chemist, and dab it on wooden surfaces and let it evaporate.

10/06/2014 at 09:46

I thought there were a lot more mosquito's this year, I got bitten 12 times 2 days ago in the middle of the day (shady, dry area).  You do mean mosquito's don't you? Gnat's are anything that flies really!! Some are troublesome, some not so guessing here that it's mozzies you're trying to keep away!

Yes, citronella is good, so's burning lavender oil or lemon eucalyptus. You could use a repellant, the one with DEET, or try putting on some products containing tea tree oil on exposed parts. Wearing sleeves is good to - but not a cardigan full of holes like I did.. I've been reading a lot into this since I became lunch 2 days ago!!

10/06/2014 at 09:54

Think we've got all the bats Snoodle 

Fascinating programme on Radio 4 this morning  http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b015sqc7   - mosquitoes rather than gnats - but fascinating - do listen again if you can 

10/06/2014 at 13:37

Well, have just bought enough candles for our garden to smell like a lemon juice factory!  I've got some oil at home somewhere so if I dig that out, I could either burn it or pour it on our wooden table.

I don't mean mosquitos.  We've those too, but always do and they are in their usual area of the damper part of the garden - a no-go area morning and evening.

The gnats I mean are a big cloud of little flies - like a ball of about 2 ft diameter. 

We have lots of bats too Dove.  They come out later on in the evening.  I hope they are having a munch on those things!

10/06/2014 at 14:13

Do you midget like things, we have loads at evening n well annoying ! I tried scariad nematodes but fighting a losing battle ! Went down for a very short while but now trillions ! we're right under 2 big sycamores, so think they come as ideal conditions under there for them. Neighbours cut down some ivy that was climbing one which used to house a bat family and they disappeared for a few years, glad to say they're back in full force and it's wonderful watching them at dusk. So moral of the story I suppose, we have to put up with some things to have the beauty of others! 

10/06/2014 at 14:15

Not to bore everyone but one year I used citronella candles during our garden party with friends ..... I put them right at the end of the garden, thinking they would entice the gnats/midges away  D'oh, didn't realise needed to be near you to keep the blighters off ! Still brought up now .... I'll get me coat 

10/06/2014 at 15:47

LOL no need to get your coat Flora  If anyone has a long ladder they could knock a 4" nail or two into the fascia boards under the eaves to encourage House Martins to nest.Or failing that if you have a barn nearby for Swallows.There are even Swift boxes you can make and even buy I think?

10/06/2014 at 17:22

Hi Supernoodle the answer is Avon Skin So Soft,iv used it for some time ,this has been on here many times ,its also supplied to out troops  abroad ,Avon do not claim it to be a repellent,but it just works so well ,on the allotment i used to get eaten alive until i used this ,give it a try dont suffer. 

10/06/2014 at 19:16

Ooh that's one to try. For the Mosquitos anyway.  The cloud of flies don't bite.  The Avon stuff would be great for children which you don't want to regularly cover in deet.  Ta for tip.

10/06/2014 at 19:37
14/06/2014 at 22:41

the dry oil spray is the one we all use on the allotment,i noticed they have a bug one but i havnt tried that ,the dry oil smell nice and works very well

14/06/2014 at 23:10

Thanks Alan, we'rein mozzie land here and the bat numbers are down.

14/06/2014 at 23:33

We now have loads of swifts and this seems to be keeping the wee flies at bay  The way they swoop and dive over my garden I would think they are feasting nicely 

15/06/2014 at 08:29
Gnats etc dont like me, but i havent noticed any. Could it be my frog army keeping them down? Isnt there a plant that is supposed to keep them at bay?
I have also heard about the avon stuff, lots of people swear by it
email image
15 messages