London (change)
Today 13°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 14°C
12 messages
08/03/2013 at 04:57

I have two Leylandi,they are at top of sloped small  garden so look even taller than their 18/20 feet. I cannot manage to have a tree surgeon to cut them down.

I also worry about the roots spreading

Is there any way to stop them growing further? Any advice welcome.

08/03/2013 at 06:28

I'm afraid the only way is to cut them down, but it shouldn't be too difficult - do you have any handy neighbours who could help?    It might be in their interest to get them down before they cast shade all over their gardens.  Or a good gardening odd job man ought to be able to do it.

08/03/2013 at 08:39
Roses2 ..best to confront this issue now. You could cut them down to say 8 or 9 feet.....they won't regrow....and plant clematis montana over the woody framework. I did this few years back keeping woody spurs to support trellis and it looks good. Someone you know can do this for you, surely?
08/03/2013 at 10:22

Hi all

Verdun tell me if you cut Leylandi down as sugested does this actually halt all growth including roots cus if so this could be a big help to lots of people who have this prob tell me more please,,,,,

Alan4711 

08/03/2013 at 10:38

Conifers such as leylandii do not regrow from brown wood so, as long as you chop off the tops and take the branches back into brown wood, they will stop growing.

They will also be effectively dead and will start the process of breaking down which you have to consider but, in the mean time, they can be used as a framework for climbing plants.

08/03/2013 at 13:06
Obelisk is absolutely,correct but the wood takes several years to rot down, in my experience. However, I also supplement the supports for climbers with galvanised poles erected as a wigwam and with wire. I did this at least 8 years ago and still as solid as it was initially
08/03/2013 at 15:51

If you cut them down to 8 or 9 feet the branches that are left 'in the green' will still grow. 

08/03/2013 at 15:59
Agreed joe, cut back to old brown wood.
08/03/2013 at 18:02

The best thing of all would be to see if a friend or neighbour could help take them out, roots and all. If you can cut them down take them as low as you can and remove side branches too; as everyone is suggesting, back to bare trunks. You might then be able to disguise the stumps with some tough little shrubs, roses or perennials, though if the roots remain you may need to improve the soil around them. 

09/03/2013 at 00:48

I would like to thank everyone for their ideas and advice.This has given me lots to think about

.As a  senior citizen, some of the options are too physical for me, my neighbours are mostly same position. However I will keep  trying.

Thanks again for help and encouragement.

09/03/2013 at 06:36

Hi roses - as a senior citizen there might be some avenues you could explore - I don't know whereabouts you live, but a lot of councils now take part in this scheme https://www.gov.uk/garden-maintenance-council-tenants, you can put your postcode in and see.

Also Age UK may be able to help - some of their local offices have gardening volunteers etc.  

Or you could try contacting your nearest agricultural or horticultural college - they may be training their students and need just this sort of task for them to tackle - they may be happy to sort it out for you, maybe for a small donation to a charity of their choice or something.  

Don't give up, keep trying and we'll keep trying along with you.  If you let us know roughly whereabouts you are, someone might just have some local knowledge.

Just a thought:  It goes without saying (but I'll say it anyway) be very wary of chaps who come to the door unbidden offering to do such jobs - don't let them do anything without getting a proper reference from someone they've worked for before - that should be someone you can contact and speak to about how they did the job, how they cleared up after themselves and how much they charged (and whether they added any 'extras') .

Age UK and many local councils have  'Trusted Trader' schemes which may be helpful.

09/03/2013 at 13:07

Hi Roses2 , Lots of good ideas fron folk on the Forum. Good luck with everything.

email image
12 messages