London (change)
Today 15°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
9 messages
11/06/2013 at 12:12

Hello.

I have 3 gooseberrys each in a large pot and on 1 of them the leaves have gone a red/purple colour

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/25250.jpg?width=274&height=350&mode=max

Is this normal? I don't remember it doing this last year? Do I need to give it something? Please help..

Thank you

11/06/2013 at 12:16

hiya magical meerkat....love the name

could just be weather...cold, then hot, etc. not dropping or disappearing are they?  fruit there?

11/06/2013 at 13:29

Only advice i've been given about gooseberries is that they are very hungry plants. Have you fed the pots well. Even in the ground i give my gooseberry plants lots of potash, and seaweed feed, then at this time when they have fruit on i give them tomato feed. 

11/06/2013 at 19:56

Hi to you both.

Leaves seem fine othr than being red. not dropping or disappearing. Only had one sawfly larvae so far. There is no fruit on this bush it's only a few years old and I dont think there were enough bees when it was flowering. My green gooseberry bush has plenty on!

I haven't fed them I have the larger 2 bushes are fine, where this is the smallest. I have never fed my gooseberries before, but this its the first time i've put them in pots. The weather has been boiling one minute then freezing wind and rain the next, maybe that is it?

Do you think I should feed it?

11/06/2013 at 20:29

i dont usually feed gooseberries either but do mulch so I guess its a form of feeding

a feed may be helpful...fish blood n bone.  a potash feed in autumn to spring helps fruit formation

01/07/2013 at 21:29

Please help , All leaves are falling off my goosberry bushes & they had lots of fruit on them its a shame

02/07/2013 at 00:25

V122...it's gooseberry sawfly.  Caterpillars that decimate gooseberry bushes almost overnight.  There's another thread about gooseberries and advice on that but I would prune bushes now and feed to help bushes rejuvenate over the summer.  A winter spray will help eradicate overwintering larvae to enable a crop next year

02/07/2013 at 03:39

Is it possible that the gooseberry with the red leaves is in very hot sun compared to the other two? Plants make this kind of pigment as a sort of suntan lotion sometimes. Possibly a bit of shade would help. 

31/07/2013 at 13:52

One of the plants is definitely growing nice new green leaves now. So I think it may have just been the heat. I am noticing less sawfly on the red leaved bush.. weird. Must not taste as nice.

email image
9 messages