Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Grape hyacinths

Hi folks

grape hyacinths, can you cut the long grass back or does it destroy the plant for spring? It's just so untidy at the mo

• FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

They need the leaves to photosynthesise which will feed the bulb so that it can flower again and again. Depends on whether you want them to flower again

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

...and whether you really want them or not.  My aged mother has them all over her little patch of garden and a substantial proportion of each visit is devoted to getting them out.  I daresay they'd be alright in a lawn though - and as far as the Q is concerned I agree with Fleurisa.  The same applies to all bulbs under a lawn.

• They are in bedding plot but they have taken over, was just wondering if you could cut the grassy leaves back to stop them drowning everything else out

• But are they best to be just trimmed back or are the best to be moved?

• davids10davids10 Posts: 894

just pull them out and toss them on the ground as mulch-by spring they'll have broken down. i control mine by pulling them out by the hundreds after they bloom.

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

These are one of my favourites plants so I think you are really lucky Nick. They may look messy now, but when those cute little purple flowers come out they are magical. I cut a handful and put them in miniature vases. 

I quite like the grassy leaves at this time of year. It's nice to have some colour and the excitement of something growing away under ground with the promise of early spring colour.

You can move them, albeit the bulbs are so teeny that you will probably find a few still sprout year after year.  I'm rather jealous! ????