London (change)
Today 15°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
8 messages
18/05/2013 at 16:14

I have a problem with my grape vine, there is a sort of whitish powdery substance

on the leaves the stem seams to be full uf water and is dripping from the stem onto the floor what does anyone think it could be, would gladly appreciaate some help as I cannot think what it could be.

gerrimire

18/05/2013 at 17:10

Could you give a few ore details of its planting situation? And have you pruned it recently?

19/05/2013 at 21:55

Hi figrat

Yes it has been pruned about a couple of weeks ago but that is about all thats been done to it, I just give it normal fertilizer thats about all its the first time I have had a go at growing one.

Gerrimire

19/05/2013 at 22:17

Pruning should be done while the vine is dormant in the winter. Pruning while it is in active growth causes the bleeding you are seeing. If the pruning was severe it could kill the vine.

19/05/2013 at 22:26

The white powdery substance you mention on the leaves is probably white powdery mildrew. 

20/05/2013 at 19:40

Hi Steephill&Marshmello

Thanks for your info ,it is much appreciated, it looks like i may have to pay for my ignorance. Will have to keep my eye on proceedings, once again thanks.

Gerrimire

20/05/2013 at 20:44

Fingers crossed for the grapevine. I thought it might be haemhorrhaging, hence the pruning question. It might be worth seeing if there's any suitable healthy growth to take cuttings from.

23/05/2013 at 15:29

Hi at the moment things seem to be okay legs crossed, hoping it carries on that way it   does not look as if it has effected all that much of the plkant. where it has been running out ive nipped off so we'll just have to keep hoping at rhe moment thank you all for your interest and your advice it was very much appreciated, thank you

gerrimire

email image
8 messages