Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Grass Seed - Mould?

Hi there,

We've just moved in to our house and I'm attempting to tackle the garden. I've been given some grass seed (DLF Trifolium treated Gromax) by my cousin and it has some sort of mouldy looking substance on it... (pictures attached). 

Can anyone tell me if this is normal? Or am I wasting my time trying to plant the seed and grow grass from the seed?

Thanks for any help!

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Sometimes some seeds seem to be coated with bluish stuff, if it doesn't smell mouldy I should think it's OK. I don't know what the stuff is. 

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • It would help if there was a picture of it on their website.

• An image on the website would definitely help!  

Thanks nutcutlet for the comment.

Has any one else got any ideas?

• How long has your cousin had it?  I don't suppose it's been stored in optimum conditions?

That being said, what've you got to lose?  I'd try sowing it pretty thickly, that way if  half of it germinates you'll have reasonable coverage.  If none of it has germinated  in 10 days time buy some fresh and have another go.  Conditions are perfect at the moment.

Good luck image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• I'm not sure, a couple of years I think... I think it's just been in his standard garage. 

That's what I was thinking... Soil arrives tomorrow so I should be able to get it down over the weekend hopefully. Thanks for the response.

Other comments welcome! image

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I've had boxes of grass seed in the shed for years, just using a bit at a time when the moles have been round etc. It germinates.

If it's gone mouldy I think there'd be a tendency for the seeds to stick together. 

I sowed some this week that was fresh and some , not all, of the seeds were a greeny blue colour

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Some seeds are coated so you can see more easily how evenly you're sowing it. I'd go along with the 'nothing to lose' opinions above.