10 messages
28/10/2013 at 10:54

We've just returned from 2 weeks' holiday and haven't been able to mow the grass, which is too long and wet.  Should I invest in a scythe or is there a mower on the market to deal with this problem (we do need a new one)?  I suppose the alternative is to leave it until it dries, but that doesn't happen here during winter, as we are in a bit of a valley!

28/10/2013 at 10:58

I think perhaps leave it now as the ground will be far to wet .

28/10/2013 at 10:59

It is a problem isn't it? We mow the grass when it's a bit wet, but when it's long and wet we tend to wait a bit. I have a good lawn mower that can cope with long grass.

28/10/2013 at 11:56

It always looks worse after you've mowed it when it's like that but it will be right b..... in spring if you don't. I don't know enough about mowers to know what sort would cope best

28/10/2013 at 14:50

Thank you for your replies.  What lawn mower do you have Busy-Lizzie?  I've just posted a response to a request for feedback on mowers and various questions on cutting the grass to a student of design & technology who is undergoing a project on redesigning a mower for older gardeners.  Hope he comes up with the solution!  I'm enjoying this Forum!

29/10/2013 at 17:54

I have a small, rotary, petrol, mulching mower with a Honda engine, a big Honda rotary mower and a Kubota tractor. But I have about an acre of garden and another acre of rougher ground to mow.

29/10/2013 at 20:31

Mmm, thank you - a bit bigger than my plot!  However, I think a Honda might be a good option.  I'm doing the research.

29/10/2013 at 21:26

I have a rotary mountfield which does for long grass if pulled backwards... it's official!

Also has a wide range of height adjustment which also helps. Did my long, damp/wet grass today with no problems even if it did take longer than usual.... ooooooh I hurt!

24/11/2013 at 17:49

Thank you - I also have a Mountfield rotary.  At last, it was dry enough to cut the grass today - looks so much better!  Determined to continue gardening throughout the winter, even if I can only do so in the GH during extreme conditions!

24/11/2013 at 18:47

Thank you, Brumbull, I'll consider that option!

email image
10 messages