London (change)
Today 20°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 13°C
6 messages
11/10/2013 at 23:53

Help!  I moved into my property 5 weeks ago which had a large but very neglected garden. As the garden had been untouched for 20 years, with the help of family and friends I took advantage of the good weather and got stuck into a major clear up. The neighbours were delighted at the swift transformation and I kept all of them informed as to my plans. Five gardens have boundaries connected to mine so a lot of people could have been very concerned had I not kept the lines of communication open. During the clear up a large privet hedge was trimmed to 6 feet high and pruned back on the side to encourage new growth in the hope of attraction more birds into the garden. I have now discovered the neighbour whose garden backs on to the privet hedge is obsessed with not being seen both in their house and garden, as a consequence they have propped two lots of old broken fencing, rubbish, bags and anything else they can use to fill in the gaps in my hedge which is well within my boundary, I'm sure this will cause permanent damage to my hedge. What can I do about the situation as they are not open to discussion.

11/10/2013 at 23:59

If they are putting their rubbish onto your property, they are in the wrong legally as well as morally - but I assume you don't want to go down the road of civil action and general unpleasantness, at least not straight away!  I would probably put some large pots of plants in front of any gaps - enough to screen you from the rubbish and to give them the privacy they are looking for; speak to and/or write to them pointing out that you have done this and that as their privacy is now restored, requesting that they remove their rubbish from your property.  I am a stroppy person, so if they didn't I would heave it back onto their territory and put up a barbed wire fence along the perimeter - but you might care whether you get on with your neighbours or not!

12/10/2013 at 00:03

Incidentally, read the thread called 'Help, neighbour cutting our hedge" there is a lot of good advice on there but it also makes some of us (me) feel relatively lucky ...

12/10/2013 at 00:50

You can also pull the rubbish on to your side and dispose of it if you can get round the back of the hedge without going on your neighbours land.

If the neighbour complains, explain that pruning the hedge will encourage it to bush out and thicken, but not if they stuff it with rubbish.

12/10/2013 at 07:56

They do not sound like the sort of people that will ever be your friends. I would put up a fence at the area to protect the hedge. Good fences good neighbours make.

12/10/2013 at 10:30

Aren't people difficult sometimes? While I'd agree with Welsh about explaining how the hedge will improve, they don't sound likt the kind of people who'd be interested in reason. I think blairs is on the right lines. How about some trellis on posts in front of the hedge to give some height, which means you get the benefit of the hedge and you could grow climbers on it which will give the privacy to the complainers. Alternatively, some other planting in front of the hedge to hide the holes.

email image
6 messages