Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Greenfly in shed

any ideas on what to use to kill greenfly , they seem to of nested in my shed. Can they do damage in there??

any help greatfully received. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

That doesn't sound like greenfly to me image 

Tell us more ....

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• I will go take a picture of it later today. Im a bit of newbie to the garden ,.

they are bright green flies, almost flat looking . 

• Beaus MumBeaus Mum Posts: 3,554

Squish em image

No, don't squish em!!!

They sound like the wonderful gardeners' friend - the green lacewing

http://www.saga.co.uk/lifestyle/gardening/wildlife-watch/green-lacewing.aspx

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Mrs GMrs G Posts: 336

Have they got a skinny green body and long wings?  If so could be lacewings like Dove says.  I found one today hiding under my mealworm tub.

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

I found some green beetles/flies in the g/h, they look like a green version of lily beetles. Do you know what they are Dove?image

Are they metallic green and shiny Artjak?  There are several garden beetles like that, rosemary and mint beetles, and chafers. 

The plainest green one I know is the green tiger beetle, but I've only ever seen them on scrubby sandy banks.

Have a look here http://www.uksafari.com/beetles.htm

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Dove, thank you for that linkimage I don't think it was the Tiger beetle, did not have such long legs etc, but I think it may have been the Green Shield beetle (will I get stamps with that?image). This apparently lives on plant sap which may explain the appearance of one of my tomato plants.

• I agree it sounds like Lacewings. I noticed a couple in my shed when I moved into our house but unfortunately they had died before we moved in.
    Don't kill them! 

• granmagranma Posts: 1,933

Check up stink bugs,but don't squish em  they live up to there name.image