Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

GREENFLY

Could you please let me know how much Fairy Liquid drops to amount of water to spray on our fruit and veg that is growing in the greenhouse.  We have moved in some Ladybirds but, the problem is getting out of control.  Alternatively if you have any other ideas, not using pesticides, it would be much appreciated.  Seems the slugs are now under control, and the Greenfly are thriving.  Thanks.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • flowering roseflowering rose Posts: 1,632

I have used tescos (its weak and cheap) and its ok and of course there is the squash finger method . or have a go with garlic but be careful it can be strong and wilt young plants .image

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

Many recommend ecover as their products are designed to have as few additives as possible - you want to avoid those with anti-bacterial additives as that will harm the soil.  I use just a few drops to a pint of water in a hand-sprayer.  All you need to do is break the surface tension of the water (which is what soap/detergent does) and this effectively drowns the aphids when sprayed over them.  Adding more detergent won't kill more aphids.image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

I personally don't use Fairy anyway but wouldn't recommend it for use on getting rid of aphids.  A bit of Ecover or other natural product like Method in water.  With Ecover non  of the products in it will actually kill the insects, it's the water (as Bob says) that drowns them, the actual ingredients have been tested to ensure that no living organism is harmed by them, especially those living in the water system.

I have actually just started rubbing them off with my fingers though (I'm getting very brave), that way I know I'm not harming anything unnecessarily and I really only do that if they are on flowers or veg.

• If you must use washing-up liquid, just a few drops in a bucket of water. The proper stuff to be using is horticultural soft soap, to be honest.

If you want to zap your aphids in an organic way, make up an extremely effective insecticidal spray from rhubarb leaves & water....this uses the oxalic poison present in the rhubarb leaves.

Kills caterpillars and other nasties too.

David,what do you do with the rhubarb leaves? Do you stew them or something? Does the solution keep well or does it need using straight away?

• Orchid Lady wrote (see)

David,what do you do with the rhubarb leaves? Do you stew them or something? Does the solution keep well or does it need using straight away?

Can give you the recipe, OL..but briefly you boil the leaves for about 20min, allow to cool, strain-off the liquid, add a few drops of washing-up liquid and spray.....it really is effective and totally organic.

PS. No, it doesn't keep.

Thanks David, I will make some of that, I'm cutting the last rhubarb tomorrow for this year so you've told me just in time image I've noticed whitefly on my aubergines tonight, despite having marigolds next to them!!

• Try you local market stall if you run out, OL.

I'm feeling lazy so I borrowed this 4 U....http://homeguides.sfgate.com/make-insect-spray-rhubarb-leaves-71445.html

• The link didn't work, but just google rhubarb insecticide spray for proportions, OL.