London (change)
Wed 9°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 10°C
4 messages
10/07/2013 at 09:38

Poured water on top of greenhouse and note leaks in through the very top. Just curious - should the glass meet exactly on that large top rail of a greenhouse. My rail has - something like 2 lips sticking out..but the glass is sitting under the two lips..so naturally any water is just falling through.

Now i did 'test' is with a water hose..pouring directly onto it..but just curious as to how a greenhouse is set up?

10/07/2013 at 09:54

Garjobo, was it you that posted a series of photos on YouTube?  If it was, several posters wondered if you had constructed the greenhouse correctly.  If it wasn't I apologise!!

If there are lips in the top rail the glass usually has to slot in so that water cannot get in.  Is it upside down?

10/07/2013 at 12:57

Yes it was me. Tempted to repost photos - but a hassle with uploading to youtube.

Upsidedown? I will have to examine others.  the 'V'' are  like this ( two of them one above the other i think. )

Thanks for the reply. Will have to look again. Need to get this sorted. Even leaks at the cement base..water coming in when it rains. Was going to put guttering down at the edges. But its the roof that is the main problem.

Still standing though!

10/07/2013 at 14:05

Roof glass should lie like a roof tile, on top of each other. When putting your glass in you should start at the bottom, butting the glass close to the frame that the bottom edge of the glass will rest on. Then work your way up to the apex of the roof, doing the same there.

I'm sure you said that there was water inbetween the panes on a previous post. If that is the case you haven't put the glass in correctly - unless you have corrected this problem since I last read your post.

email image
4 messages