Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

greenhouse woes.

I have moved my still flowering geraniums into my greenhous to beat the frost from killing them.

But other years I have lost the lot to a dust/ cobwebb type fungus or something like that, despite opening doors and window to allow ventilation.

Has anybody got any sound advice please??image

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

Best idea-is to remove all the leaves etc-it is thecold/damp conditions in the greenhouse that do that-the main thing that they don't like -far better in my opinion to lift the plants, shake off most of the soil,remove most of the leaves and store in pots in a cool dry frost free place-you can them cram 3/4 plants together in one pot

Separate and start again in the spring by cutting plants back and re-potting

• strip off all the leaves....image  will they survive this??

It is winter time-they don't need the leaves- they will drop or rot off any way of anyway-it has been known for people just to wrap them in newspaper -store in a drawer and repot in the spring

Unless you want to keep them growing-that needs warmth -heated greenhouse or indoors?

• sounds like a plan.....many thanks..image

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

I agree with Geoff on this, they do go mouldy if you leave the leaves on, it is ok to cut them off, they will shoot out from the base next spring.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• sotongeoff wrote (see)

Best idea-is to remove all the leaves etc-it is thecold/damp conditions in the greenhouse that do that-the main thing that they don't like -far better in my opinion to lift the plants, shake off most of the soil,remove most of the leaves and store in pots in a cool dry frost free place-you can them cram 3/4 plants together in one pot

Separate and start again in the spring by cutting plants back and re-potting

Seems sound advice to me Sotongeoff. I'll do the same to mine tomorrow. I've never managed to overwinter geraniums so this must be where I have been going wrong. Thanks.

• Norm2Norm2 Posts: 86

Great advice Geoff / Lyn  thank you, I was debating what to do with some I have, sounds a bit scary removing most of the leaves but If that's the way to save em that's what I shall do. Do they need light whilst in storage ? or would a dark shed be ok.

I have not tried the newspaper trick-but have kept them in pots as I described-a shed might work but I would be more inclined too give them some light

The basic idea is anywhere cool,dry and frost-free

• Norm2Norm2 Posts: 86

Cheers I shall pop them by the window in the garage,  

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

Also try sprinkling Sulphur dust on them. This kills off the Botrytis spores which is what your mould is. I use this a lot on my Primula allionii plants which are very prone to infection.