London (change)
Today 9°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 10°C
9 messages
29/04/2012 at 19:09

I'm looking for suggestions of good ground covering plants.

It's for a border area, around the edge of a lawn with a large hedge behind the border.

I'm looking for plants that will spread a thick "carpet" the width and length of the border, not grow too tall and will suppress weed growth.

But the plants will also need to be hardy enough to withstand being stood on with a step ladder.  So that we can maintain the hedge behind the border.

Also nice colour or berries etc would be a bonus...

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Kevin.

29/04/2012 at 19:40

You can grow Ivy as a ground cover, it would be hardy and thick like a carpet and take all sorts of abuse.

29/04/2012 at 20:31

Vinca might work.  Vinca Minor is said to be less invasive than Vinca Major.  It has pretty blue flowers.

29/04/2012 at 20:32
Vinca was my thought as well.
29/04/2012 at 21:16

Variegated Vinca Minor gets my vote. It stands almost all abuse and neglect and somehow manages to survive in even the driest of conditions.

Vinca Major is just more invasive and hassle when it comes to clearing debris of leaves that may cover/fall on it in the autumn.

Variegated Vinca Minor

http://www.soquelnursery.com/images/vinca_minor_illumination_050720.JPG

30/04/2012 at 18:43

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Any thoughts on Isotoma fluviatillis "Blue Star Creeper"

Found it on a site called - stepables.com

Link

Kevin.

30/04/2012 at 20:49

try bugle thyme  stonecrop sedum saxifraga  dwarf flox oxalis lysimachia "creeping jenny "iberis cerastium "snow in summer "all good cover and lovely flowers too .

01/05/2012 at 08:22

A few varieties of Hardy Geranium would be suitable for your border, but they are not evergreen.

01/05/2012 at 21:00

Hello Kevin,

Think Vinca Major is a really good choice, easy to propagate so I'm told.

How about Bugle as ground cover? It grows fast, suppress weeds and and can do well anywhere. I've got some in partial shade & full sun. I've grown it in pots, it's hardy & takes no looking after. So easy to get free plants from. The flowers are really a pretty blue

http://www.plantlife.org.uk/wild_plants/plant_species/bugle

email image
9 messages