Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Ground Elder

I have a large garden in a rural setting that was grown over when we bought the house 3 years ago. We've managed to tame most of it now but I can't get to grips with the ground elder. For two tears I just mowed it like grass, but this year I planted home grown lupins, rose campion and geum through it and although it looked pretty in July, I feel the ground elder is now in danger of swamping even these plants . Please, please, how do I kill it?

• Alina WAlina W Posts: 1,445

Weedkiller, and we're coming up to the ideal time. Make sure that you cover any wanted  plants, and then spray thoroughly with a glyphosate-base weedkiller. The ground elder will appear to grow better than ever for a few days, but then start to look sickly. You will probably have to apply the weedkiller at least twice.

What's left will have to be dug out by hand - you may well find it best to take up the plants you've planted to get it out of their roots.

• OK thanks. I'm determined to kill it off!

• BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

Hope you do succeed, it really is a most incredibly persistent plant.  There is another thread about this you might like to read?