Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Growing Apples from seeds

Hello,

I want to grow some apple trees from seeds. I know that I could buy them as small trees and it would be easier but I specifically want to grow them from seeds with the aim of eventually getting some tasty apples.

My question is, if I grow some royal gala apples and some granny smith apple trees can I plan them next to each other and will they then cross pollinate to make some good fruit. If not, how do I grow them so that I can get some guaranteed good fruit.

Thanks,

Cam

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

The seeds from a Royal Gala apple will not grow a Royal Gala tree - apples do not come 'true' from seed.  The same goes for Granny Smith.  Apple trees grown from seed will also take many years to produce any fruit, if they produce any at all, and they will grow into huge trees and it's unlikely that you'll be able to reach to pick the apples. 

If you want tasty apples you need to identify the type of apple you like and then buy a grafted tree of that type.  Apple trees are grafted onto dwarfing rootstocks to prevent them growing into huge trees. 

If you have a look at this site http://www.orangepippintrees.co.uk/apple-trees/adams-pearmain you'll see an apple called Adams' Pearmain.  Let us suppose that this is the apple you like.  It is in Flowering Group 3 - this means that when you plant your tree it needs to be near another tree that is also in Flowering Group 3 so that the pollinating insects can carry pollen from one tree to another.  

If you look back at that webiste you'll see that there are several apple varieties in Group 3, including Ballerina Flamenco and  Arthur Turner.  Whichever variety you choose it will not affect the flavour of the fruit on the Adam's Pearmain - it's simply that the pollen from another Group 3 tree is needed in order for the Adam's Pearmain to produce it's fruit.  

It's a bit complicated, but I hope I've explained it fairly clearly. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Pansyface image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

The kind of fruit produced by these seed grown trees is called a 'spitter' One bite and you spit it out!