4 messages
11/06/2013 at 15:54

Can anyone tell me what to do about Rust on garlic, plus how to get decent bulbs. At the moment my crop just looks like leeks but we've eaten all of those!!

11/06/2013 at 19:48

Don't know what you mean by rust? Do you mean the stems are starting to turn a yellow colour ?

When the foilage starts to yellow and die back & the roots contract the goodness then goes into the garlic and they swell.

Also depends when they are planted out, ideally in Winter as they need the cold to split the clove. (Most of mine have a leeky look also)

Due to the slow start this year I planted mine in April and only a few have split so I don't know what to expect.

11/06/2013 at 19:57

I get some rust on garlic too, but it doesn't effect the bulbs...just the leaves. But I do have a weed which grows at the allotment which appears susceptible to rust and is first to show signs of the disease. I think this is where the infection stems from....my leeks, onions and garlic are always attacked to some degree.

13/06/2013 at 16:34

Phew -good to know I am not the only one. Thank yu Andrew for letting me know that the bulbs should now start ripening. I planted in October (Isle of White sets bought in UK) and up until last week everything brilliant. I shall wait and see what happens. One thing I was told was don't water as onions and garlic like dry/hot & sunny. Let Nature do the watering (plenty of that last year and all the stems rotted!) I have sandy soil so i live in hopes.

email image
4 messages