Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Growing morning glory in a hanging basket.

I have sown too many morning glory and they have all germinated. I have run out of climbing places, has anyone tried growing them in a hanging basket as a trailer?

• LORELEILORELEI Posts: 128
    Never have, but I cant see why it would'nt work. You could always grow them over other plants and shrubs as well.
  • Gary HobsonGary Hobson Posts: 1,892
    LORELEI wrote (see)
    ...You could always grow them over other plants and shrubs as well.

I have tried growing morning glory through roses, and climbing up tall lilies. But it was too vigourous, and I had to remove it in both cases. It can act a bit like bindweed (though not perennial). It might possibly work with bigger and stronger shrubs.

No harm in trying it out of a basket.

• ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,731

Depends on which MG you have, kate. Some are ideal for hanging baskets, others need a lot more root space.

• kate1123kate1123 Posts: 2,815

Lorelei and Gary thanks for the advice, I did worry that if I planted them next to a shrub without support that they may swamp it. I will try the hanging baskets as it seems a shame to waste the seedlings when it has been such a tough year for annuals.

Italophile they are annuals ? Which ones need the root space?

Not the annuals. The perennials, the monsters that can take over the world if not kept in check. You're okay.

• Alina WAlina W Posts: 1,445
    Gary Hobson wrote (see)
    I have tried growing morning glory through roses, and climbing up tall lilies. But it was too vigourous, and I had to remove it in both cases. It can act a bit like bindweed (though not perennial). It might possibly work with bigger and stronger shrubs.

No harm in trying it out of a basket.

As a matter of interest, ipomea is regarded as a pernicious weed, every bit as bad as bindweed, in its native habitat (Florida, I believe), where it is a perennial. Luckily, we don't have that problem here - although you may find that it seeds heavily, and you get a lot of babies next year.

It's worse than a pernicious weed in Australia. It used to smother everything - and I mean everything - in our backyard in Sydney.

Different climate, obviously.

Just a tad.

Thanks for the advice, I have a perennial but it has not liked this cold summer.

• tattiannatattianna Posts: 182

Hi Kate, I put morning glory in a hanging basket a couple of years ago and it didn't really work. They just seemed to wrap them selves around all the chains and the bracket and anything else it came into contact with. There were very few leaves and only a couple of flowers...nothing much at all really. 

That said I also planted some in the conventional way (growing up a trellis) last year with much the same results. So it's probably me doing something wrong or they don't like my garden however I did notice some small plants growing in the same place again this year so I can only think that they must have self seeded and I didn't know that was a possibility image