London (change)
Today 28°C / 20°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 16°C
5 messages
14/07/2013 at 12:04

Hi! I am growing Sage in a small terracotta pot (8" diameter). It looks reasonably healthy, but isn't growing. Its like the day we bought it - 5 months ago. I am reluctant to havest it too much because there will be nothing left! Last year, we grew Sage and eventually it became a big woody mass of stalks and small leaves and didn't recover from out havesting.

The question I would like to ask is, how to grow sage successfuly? Soil compositon, location of the plant, pruning, etc. But also, how can you keep it healthy over winter and beyond?

Does anybody have sage growing large and happy in their garden - with a constant supply?

I'd like to hear your thoughts, thanks!

Lyn
14/07/2013 at 12:11

Sage is best planted out in the garden, any old soil, keep picking the flowers off and take the biggest leaves for eating, i pick it by the loads and dry it in the microwave, dont forget to put a pot of water in or you will break the microwaves. If its a really cold winter it may not survive but is easy to grow from seed again or cuttings.

14/07/2013 at 12:31

Thanks Lyn. You dry it in the micowave!? That's intriguing, might give it a go.

In regards to taking leaves, I can imagine leaveless stalks. Some herbs prefer you to take the stalk with the leaves. But does Sage prefer you to take just the leaves and, will it then produce new leaves on the same stalk?

14/07/2013 at 12:36

I agree with Lyn, but also best grown in a very hot sunny spot. Dryness doesn't hurt it. In March/April, chop it down to about 10cm and up it will sprout again! I have a bush about 1m x 50cm in a square of soil between the path and the house wall of about 50cm x 30cm, which it has to share with a climbing rose. It's been there since we moved in 17 years ago!

14/07/2013 at 12:39

Sage Is easy to grow from seed and grow from cuttings it likes to be planted out in the garden and moved about every 4 years

email image
5 messages