London (change)
Today 19°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 10°C
1 to 20 of 21 messages
23/01/2013 at 21:37

Its my first post so be gentle. I have been growing plants in a small unheated mini greenhouse since september. The plants have managed fine coping with the temperatures as the greenhouse seemed to provide enough protection however due to the cold temperatures of -6 and below i brought them in the house. They will have been indoors for 2 weeks will i need to harden them off or should i just put them back out in the greenhouse when it warms up a little as i cant keep them in the house theres no room and i am growing a reasonable amount of plants.

Thanks for any replys

23/01/2013 at 22:02

Which plants?

23/01/2013 at 22:11

Yes, it would be helpful to know what you are growing. Some plants are hardier than others. If they are hardy enough they would be better in the greenhouse as the light would be better, but if half hardy or tender they may need more protection. If you had a maximum/minimum thermometre you would know how cold it gets in the greenhouse.

23/01/2013 at 22:13

I took them in as they were starting to freeze. I am growing campanula carpactica, snow in summer, aubrita, sweet peas, dianthus deltoids. They have managed fine so far and i wouldnt have took them in otherwise.

Thanks for the reply

23/01/2013 at 22:17

I do have a thermoneter and its normall 3 to 5 degrees warmer than the outside temperature and have never frozen till the latest weather where we had prolonged temerature of minus 6 overnight

23/01/2013 at 22:20

I have most of these growing outside with no protection. I would get them back outside as quickly as possible but do it in stages, do you have a frost free garage ?

When you say growing, what size are they?

23/01/2013 at 22:25

They are in the larger platic trays which are about 2 to 3 inchs wide and the plants a wider than this now. if anything the plants look a bit better certainly my aubrita look alot better. Ill get them out on friday as we have 1 more bout of minus 6 thursday then its suppost to warm up

23/01/2013 at 22:27

Unfortunately i dont have a garage

23/01/2013 at 22:35

I was just trying to think of somewhere that will be frost free, they will not enjoy going from central heating to freezing. what about a shed? Some fleece will also help.

23/01/2013 at 22:43

I have a shed but to be honest it is not much warmer ill just take my chances see what happenes i might put them out during the day in the night for a few days to lesson the blow i have far to many plants apart from the sweet peas and can afford to loose over half of them. They were brought in for a couple of days in december when the cover tore on the greenhouse and i just put them back out. I just have to pray.

Thanks for all the advice

23/01/2013 at 22:54

Good luck

23/01/2013 at 22:54
All of these plants are hardy and tough but still,need light. So, back into the greenhouse with them and not the garage. Cover with fleece if you are concerned. But not necessary. These plants would not really have enjoyed being in a warm environment indoors
23/01/2013 at 22:58
Oh, is your greenhouse still uncovered? Just noticed that bit, sorry. Can you cover with plastic, bubble wrap, etc in the greenhouse? Or, have you repaired greenhouse? If so my advice earlier holds.
23/01/2013 at 22:58

Thanks ill put them out with them being so young will they survive being frozen as i wont bring them in again otherwise. They all on a windowsill so are getting some light ill buy some fleece the wrap them up.

23/01/2013 at 23:00

I have repaired the greenhouse with a new cover i might try bubble wrap

23/01/2013 at 23:39
Don't need bubble wrap as well in greenhouse if its now repaired. Think you are over concerned about these very hardy plants. Relax,they will be just fine but soon you can pot on
24/01/2013 at 17:44

Thanks my mind is at ease on last question a couple of my sweetpeas are looking worse for ware is it the heat in the house or something else i have about 16 plants they looking a little floppy and 3 of the dwarf variaties i am growing are losing leaves on one of there stems but not all they turned yellow. They are in root trainers and have been growing since september do you think this could be the cause they outside now just hope they recover.

24/01/2013 at 17:47

They were frozen when i brought them in and looked tatty prior to comming in the house however.

24/01/2013 at 18:48
Better guys out there than me about sweet peas but they dont sound too good. Can you sow more? I sow about now instead of in the autumn. Its not good to move plants around too much in the winter ....from very cold to very warm isnt conducive to good health. Sow indoors and grow on indoors, then to cold greenhouse and then, when warmer, to acclimatise to the outside by out during the day and in again night time. Then plant into the ground
24/01/2013 at 19:00

Sowing more is not a problem i though maybe the frost got them i might sow some more as backup

1 to 20 of 21 messages