Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Harsh winters

Not sure if anyone has experience in overwintering a Dicksonia Antarctica in very cold weather, i.e. frozen ground for months and most likely quite a bit of snow for months too. My tree fern is 5ft tall and in a plastic container at the moment, so I can move it around easily.

For winter I was going to leave it outside but wrapped in a thick, thick layer of straw, bubble wrap around the pot and the fronds tied together with lots and lots of straw in the crown. I was then going to put a big clear plastic bag over the top so it doesn't get wet but it will get light.

Now I'm thinking I might put it in the garage instead although it'll still need to be wrapped up as it will freeze in there, but I worry about it not getting enough light. Can anyone help? Any suggestions? Do you even think it can survive such climate?

• kasjkkasjk Posts: 137

Hi Philippa,

Yes you guessed right, I live in Norway but on the south coast so its not as harsh as in t north of the country.