London (change)
Today 11°C / 3°C
Tomorrow 7°C / 3°C
7 messages
23/04/2013 at 22:42
Hey guys Hoping to get some advice here on my dahlias. So I purchased some online last Sept and they arrived Friday. All neatly packaged etc but I was expecting tubers and these were young plants. Never mind I thought and followed the instructions of what to do with them to bring them on. Having had huge success with the tubers year in year out I thought this would be no different but after I potted them up and watered them I noticed a couple had started to flop. I put this down to shock and most plants recover after a few more days. But these have just got worse. The smallest ones foliage turned a very ashen shade with dark patches in the middle of the leaves and the others quickly followed. Today they are at their worse, most of the leaves are limp and dead. I've tipped them up and the root systems look healthy but the leaves are horrendous. I'm really hoping they will recover. What should I do?
23/04/2013 at 23:12

Any chance they have been frosted overnight? If they have you may have lost them. `You could contact the supplier and explain what has happened and who may then send you some more out of the goodness of their hearts. Stranger things have happened.

23/04/2013 at 23:25
Gillybean
Just inform your supplier that your plants are not looking good. Its possible that they were damaged in transit. You should have your plants replaced
It may be that you have overwatered your plants.
24/04/2013 at 01:52

Mildew?Sounds like they sent you rooted cuttings.

24/04/2013 at 16:53
I have made sure they've not experienced any extreme temperatures. Think I've over watered them. I checked the roots and they seem fine. I'm hopeful that they will put on some growth....I'll keep checking them and see what happens.
I was not expecting such small plants to be honest...hey we live and learn.
24/04/2013 at 19:10

If you complain to the supplier the odds are that they will send you new ones but they certainly won't want the old ones back. You may save the first batch, but you have a back-up batch should you not. They owe you a second chance.

25/04/2013 at 10:34
Thanks so much. I've contacted the supplier unfortunately they do not have many left now as all are ordered the previous year and dispatched spring. They are going to check what they have left and let me know in due course.
email image
7 messages